Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another ni pine issue

Posted by jeannie75 tennessee (butterflikis75@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 9:41

ok I have had the same issues. needle drying up and my little pine ending up sitting outside when its been dead as Jacob marley. im going to try it again. ive got electric heat that stays on 70. ive kept it on my kitchen table before but theres a ceiling fan nearby. im going to put it in my bathroom this year. I keep my window in there open because it gets too stuffy in my bedroom/bathroom so it would stay cooler. im going to put it as far from the vent in there as I can and keep the soil moist. wish me luck and if I manage to keep it alive would moving it into the living room front part of the house for 2 to 4 wks next year mess it up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another ni pine issue

What kind of pine tree is it?

Is is a southern ones that does not require cold or a dormant stage, or a pine that needs to be dormant?

Mike

o

Hi Mike! I'm going to assume that the 'ni ' means Norfolk Island Pine.

Jeannie, I'd hate to have your electric bill, lol. Are you doing anything to counteract the low humidity issue for your NIP? Is your bathroom bright and sunny?

You shouldn't be keeping your plant too moist, especially if you're using a typical mucky potting mix like the dreaded MiracleGro.

Another common reason for needle browning of NIPs (besides dry air, improper watering) would be spider mites. These plants are very susceptible to mites ESPECIALLY IN WARM, DRY conditions.

Spider mites are very difficult to detect infesting these plants.

o

Hello!
I have mine that I bought last year and has been thriving. I mist mine with water every morning, I water it once a week, and I have it in a south facing window. Keep it away from cold drafts as these are tropical plants. Don't put it in front of a open window because they don't like cool temps and drafts. Can you post a photo?

o

I haven't got another one yet. im going to stop at lowes tomorrow night when I shop for the kids and try to get my tree. yes Norfolk island pine. just the holiday ones they sell with little ornaments already decorated and a Christmas festive wrap around the pot.

o

They're wonderful plants. Mine is still small enough to use as a centerpiece for Christmas. They should be half off by now. I bought two of them from Home Depot to give as gifts. Sadly, some stores put them out and don't care for them. The Home Depot near me neglected them and many of them were dead yet they were still trying to sell them. Make sure the plant is healthy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here