Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Translucent Pothos Leaves?

plantomaniac08
11 years ago

I just purchased this Pothos the other day and it looks like it's developing translucent patches on some of it's leaves (more so seen on the tips of the leaves and the leaf margins). Does anyone know what is causing this? It's Pothos 'Neon'

Planto

Comments (17)

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another photo

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

I have seen this happen with frost/cold damage.

Was it a plant that was in a farely new shipment?

Other than that, might it be some sort of fungus issue? We'll see from the experts here.

Mike

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,
    I'm honestly not sure if it was a new shipment or not but you might be on to something (my Mother even mentioned she thought it was cold damage; I asked after I posted hehe). I purchased it at a local nursery earlier this week, A little irritating needless to say but I guess that's my fault for buying a plant this time of year.

Planto

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey Planto..

There is another plant species notorious for doing teh same exact thing when the leaves get too cold and even a cold wet, or cold water droplets at the same time.

The San's...That is exactly what happened to mine exposed to very cold temps for even a few minutes. Let's hope that is all it is.:-)

Fungus on my plants is not something I would particularly like to see and it doesn't seem to be mentoned much here.
    But I can tell you that it is a real problem and many don't even know how to tell the difference. I wish I could at times.

All that everyone seems to focus on is root rot issues or pests...I have lost a several Begonia and many other plants to Botrytis and the like.......

Mike:-)

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,
    When you say a cold wet, is it possible that watering with cold water or keeping it in a clay pot (it feels cold to the touch when I've watered the plant) would have caused this?

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,
    Now I'm dumbfounded. The translucent spots have all but disappeared!

Planto

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

Hi, I used to work in a green house....and when new plants came in they were packed in a plastic sleeve...and if they were in this plastic sleeve to long the plant parts that touch the plastic would get to wet (sweat) and cause the marks you see and if you get the plant out and let it dry the marks usually would go away..if not we would cut those leaves off....I hope I explained this Ok.....linda

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda,
    That makes sense. The only thing is that it looked fine the day that I bought it up until this morning and now the spots are gone. *shrugs* I guess I should have waited to post until tomorrow hehe.

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Well I found the discussion interesting, worthwhile. Good to hear it looks normal now!

• greenchic
    11 years ago

I have a pothos that color (a very nice lime green) and it does the same thing, especially the newer leaves. and it comes and goes I always thought it had something to do with the lighting. if it was rotting or fungus the whole leaf would be a goner as most damaged leaves dont repair themselves they just die and fall off.

It is probably just a side affect of the breeding to make that lovely leaf color. Good luck Ive had mine a few years and have given away many vines to friends and family.

• ronalawn82
    11 years ago

plantomaniac08, there is an Epipremnum 'Neon' HERE.

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

Ive noticed my alocasia do the same thing from time to time...areas around the edge get "wet" looking, as if it were a paper towel, clearly they arent soaked, like they appear...and the wet spots go away after a while...Its been a mystery to me too

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

grabmebymyhandle,
    I was happy to hear it was nothing to be concerned about. I'd never had a plant develop translucent leaves like that before!

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

"Well, there is more room in a house for more plants right?"

Absolutely! Given a choice, I'd select a house based on plant lighting, among other things of course. Exciting, good luck!

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple,
    Hehe, you're my new best friend!

Planto

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

hehe, i have caught myself looking for things like Large windows, southern exposures, skylights, enclosable porches,,,
    should a 'translucent' home be an ammenity priority?? lol

...luv those neon pothos :)