Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Another Variegated Neanthe Bella Palm Frond

plantomaniac08
11 years ago

I just purchased this little guy the other day and noticed some variegation on one of its fronds (I have previously posted a picture of one of my other Neanthe Bella Palm's variegated fronds).

This is the picture from an old post of mine showing the variegated frond on my other Bella Palm:
{{gwi:115347}}

Here's a photo of the new Bella Palm with it's variegated frond (looks different eh?). If you look closely (have to squint almost, bad photo), to the right of the variegated frond, there is a new... "leaf"? forming that looks alittle variegated. This is new to me, my other Bella palm had no other forms of variegation on it (other older leaves or new leaves).
{{gwi:115348}}

Overall photo (I love the plant potter, I found it for $3):
{{gwi:115349}}

Planto

Comments (27)

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I have a large palm seedling that put out some variegation on a frond. Still waiting for new fronds to see whether it was a one off abberation or not.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tropicbreezent,
    That's cool! Do you have a picture to share? Let us know if it continues the variegation in new fronds. :)

Planto

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Not a lot there, but I'll see in time. I've heard that variegation can be caused by a virus and a plant can grow out of it.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, that's a different variation of variegation I haven't seen before. I am interested in seeing if it continues, do share what happens in the future with your palm. :)

Planto

• woodnative
    11 years ago

that first one is a nicely variegated/chimera sport!! Are you planning on separating that particular plant from the mother clump?? The new/second one I am a little suspicious about......it may be variegated, but to me it looks more virus infected, and/or damaged (no spider mites on there, is there?). I could be wrong, but I think your original sport is the better chimera and quite striking!

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

woodnative,
    I haven't separated the first one from the clump because I didn't notice the variegation continue in new fronds. I however noticed with the second one, the variegation looks to be continuing in the new frond. I don't see any spider mites so I'm assuming it's some form of virus. Is that lethal to this palm? I think I've read somewhere that's how certain variegation is present in certain plants (I believe Pothos is one) but it's not considered lethal. Thanks!

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Afternoon,

Plano, beautiful palm.
    Question. How much sun/light is the new sprout getting?
    Example..equal, more than mom, or less?
    Reason I'm asking is lately I've noticed more variegation on 'X' plants in lower light, including one TC.

My variegated palm also has a new sprout. It too is slightly variegated, gets little to no sun.

Mom
    {{gwi:115351}}

Baby, slightly variegated..center yellow stripe

{{gwi:115353}}

Tropic, love your baby, too.
    I wanted a variegated Caryota/Fish Tail Palm, but seller has one on bid starting at 99.00..lol. A baby palm, one stalk, 3-4 leaves, 4" pot. Oh well, maybe one day..Toni

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni,
    Well, they're actually in the same pot together. I think they're getting a little bit of morning sun and they're in a bright location overall (not too bright though).

Planto

• SurfCityPalms
    10 years ago

Hello,

I am a big collector of variegated palms. Would you consider selling the Bella? I have been searching for a variegated Bella for years and would love to get it for my collection.

I have plenty of palms to trade as well if that is what you would prefer.

Jerod
    SurfCityPalms

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jerod,
    I don't have either Neanthe Bella Palms anymore, as I've managed to kill both! Don't ask me how I killed one of the easiest houseplants, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Planto

• SurfCityPalms
    10 years ago

Bummer!

Variegated plants are not healthy to begin with and require special attention. Due to the time that had passed from the original post I was expecting you to say that.

For next time (since you seem to be lucky enough to have found 2 already), the first thing you should have done is made it a solitaire tree by cutting the other trees out of the pot at their bases, not touching their roots, and planting the whole cluster in a larger pot so the one remaining vari tree would have a place for its roots to grow and get stable. OR, just call me and I'll help you, lol.

Jerod

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jerod,
    I found both of them at Lowes (they were Exotic Angel), in case you're interested. Of all the Bella Palms I've seen, those were the only variegated ones I've ever seen. But, there's always the chance of seeing another one.

Planto

• SurfCityPalms
    10 years ago

Oh trust me, I look for them everytime I'm at a hardware store, I've even gone to Home Depots supplier and looked through thousands of trees. Variegated palms are a needle in a haystack, literally one in a million at times.

I started collecting palms awhile back and eventually I had 150+ species which was everything that would grow in my zone and more, then I got turned onto variegated palms and got hooked. It's so cool to know that you have such a rare tree and they have a suprise with every new leaf.

Here's a link to my variegated collection to give you an idea:
    http://www.surfcitypalms.com/personal-palm-gallery/variegated-palms

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jerod,
    I really wish I hadn't accidently killed them now, knowing how uncommon they were. You have quite the collection there, I felt overwhelmed for a second there, haha! I hope you find a variegated Bella palm one day. :)

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Planto, your pics are gone. Wish I remembered what they looked like. :)

I'm sorry you lost your variegated palms..They're rare, and when found, EXPENSIVE.

Every so often I browse for variegated palms..A seller on Ebay sometimes has variegated Lady Palm.
    Thailand sellers have various variegated palms, but they're costly..shipping alone is 30.00. Add that to the price of palm....between 99-200.
    4" pot with 2-4 fronds. Yeah, I'll take a dozen. lol.

Planto, do you still have the photos? Toni

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni,
    Unfortunately, I don't have the pictures anymore. I deleted them when I lost them (they died).

Planto

• SurfCityPalms
    10 years ago

Yup, I would have paid anywhere from $60-100 for that tree.

Jerod

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Planto. That's too bad. I'm sorry you lost your palm.
    Yeah, I know they died, but didn't want to mention it. don't like hurting feelings. :)

Surf City. I viewed your website. Wow! You have beautiful variegated palms and cycads.
    You're so lucky. lol. Toni

• SurfCityPalms
    10 years ago

Lol Toni, thanx, it's taken years searching, trading, and lets not forget buying to build up the collection. The whole reason I started selling palms was to pay for the hobby!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

SCP...Finding those beauty's would take years finding. I'm certain costly, too.

A few members here on GW used to travel around the world looking for rare plants.

I didn't see prices..hmm, gotta check your site. lol. Toni

• SurfCityPalms
    10 years ago

Toni, ya, I intentionally leave out pricing and "Buy Now" buttons on my site because pricing for variegated palms varies tremendously due to size, color of variegation, amount showing on leaves, and percentage of variegated leaves. I also have a few multiples so I don't want to lure someone to buy from a picture of a plant and have them be disappointed in the plant they actually receive. So yes the pictured plants are for sale, but I also have other quality of trees available so I send the prices with current picture of the plants someone is interested in.

Also, I would hate to have someone purchase an expensive variegate to have it die due to not being hardy enough for someones location, so I like to give a personal warning that a tree needs to be protected if need be.

Jerod

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni,
    It's ok, I've only managed to kill three sets for some reason. This is my fourth one, I've already passed "third times the charm" (it obviously wasn't). MAYBE I'll get it right this time. More light, maybe hold off watering it like it's a peace lily (yeah, I think I drowned my last three). I already removed all traces of that nasty soil they come in (another Exotic Angel plant) and put it closer to my South window, I think those were two steps I didn't do the last three times. Here's hoping this one makes it!

:)

Planto

• SurfCityPalms
    10 years ago

Planto, my suggestion is to put it in a larger pot. The cluster will never be happy with that many trees suck in such a small space and nowhere for the roots to grow.

Bellas are solitary trees and naturally do not share their footprint. If you let them continue to grow as a cluster they will slowly die off one by one until the roots are finally happy.

Years ago I planted a similar cluster in the ground because I didn't know any better, and today my once cluster of a hundred trees is down to only 3 happy, trunking Bellas. So, to save the tree the stress of natural selection, you could cut away the smallest trees (as they'll be the first to die anyways) or you can just give the roots room to grow and see which ones survive.

Jerod

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jerod,
    I was just going to leave it to nature so to speak, but the pot I selected does have some room for them to grow (just not too much). I did spread them out a little bit when I repotted. I know over time they'll die off eventually anyway, but at least this way, they're not on top of each other like they were. Thanks for the tips. :)

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Jerod. You have real beautys.
    If I had to start over, 98% of my plants would be variegated.

Last night I got tired and signed off, but I plan on browsing your entire website today..

Planto, wait! Did you get another variegated palm???
    I'm lost..
    What type of palm do you now have, if you got another? lol.

You know..when I bought palms in the past, I'd pot similiar to other plants.
    But, after a few died, I thought, wait..something isn't right. Especially when I lost a variegated Rhapsis.

I normally pot plants 1-2 sizes larger than rootball, but after my Rhapsis died, I decided to try a different approach.

In 1994/5 I bought long, narrow tree pots for my citrus trees.
    So, after locating another Rhapsis, 'pic above,' I decided to pot directly in the tree pot, even though the palm/roots was/were on the small side.

Guess what..It worked. Tree pots are the answer when it comes to growing palms in containers. Seedlings.

I filled the bottom w/styrofoam peanuts, then placed medium and roots in the container.

I have a second palm, bought as a seedling, Bottle Palm, Hyophorbe, in a tree pot, too. Both are in the upstairs, west, bathroom window. But, 'whenever' we have strong sunlight, that west window is a little too harsh for both palms, especially Hyophorobe.
    One thing about palms in the bathroom, while showering, fronds are showerd, too. Humidity increase.

BTW, a seller on Ebay has Caryota Mitis variegata for 30.00. Oh, wish I was rich..lol.

Think of it this way. Instead of third time is a charm, think, three strikes your out.. BUT, now it's a whole, new ball game.

IMO, some palms love strong light, 'desert palms,' but tropical palms will burn. Ask my Bottle Palm.
    I had to cut several leaves because that west window was way too bright. I placed in the bath tub..it's doing much better.

Good luck, Toni

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni,
    Of the four parlour palm seedling sets I've tried to grow, only two had variegation in them. This is my fourth set of parlour palm seedlings. I will be sure to pull it away once the light starts coming through the window later this year, as I burned my peace lily last year. What's a tree pot?

Panto

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Seedlings do best in bright in-direct sun.
    However, a baby growing off my variegated palm, was in direct sun, but it probably adapted.

Tree pot..Scroll up the thread, date Dec 17, 2012.
    There are different size tree pots. The tree pot in my photo is the smallest. It's tall, about 18", and narrow, approximately 4".

Not the best photo, but I have more. lol

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths