Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

December blooms

Don't see a thread for these yet -
not many for me, but this 'lifesaver' keeps putting out blooms one after another.

Rina

Comments (51)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

They had one at the fair this fall. I didn't smell anything.

• paul_
    9 years ago

That one is Huernia zebrina. Unlike most of the Stapelia relatives, it has no scent.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As paul mentioned, it is scent-less.
    Very easy to grow plant; I received cutting in May 2012. It has grown well, first bloom opened in June 2014 and never stopped since - this must be #12 or 13, and another bud is getting bigger.

Anybody with blooming plants out there?

Rina

• MrBlubs
    9 years ago

Besides my Spiders, my hawthoria attenuata should be sending out some stalks sometime this month as it usually does.... Hopefully.

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

Aloe, probally a Kelley Griffen hybrid

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

wonderful idea for a thread.
    what is the plant pictured in the original post?
    looks like a cactus?
    do you grow it under lights?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Ellen, it's a Huernia zebrina, as Paul said. Called lifesaver plant for common.

This forum has been had a discussion for blooms-of-the-month for the past year. I've stored the webpage addresses for each of the discussions in my profile, if anyone wants to look at them. I think it's really cool to see if stuff is blooming at the same time again. A lot of my stuff keeps repeating, but that's part of the point of showing them over & over - they keep blooming!

This month, I have a ton of holiday cacti blooming, but there's a separate discussion for those, so I won't clog this one with pics of those.

Wax Begonia:

9 years ago

Aloe, this thing blooms often!

9 years ago

This parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) has been blooming constantly for about the past year. There are, for the first time that I remember seeing in the about-2 decades that I've had this plant, some seeds forming.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ellen

purple is in much warmer part of the country, so she has more blooming plants - I would think - most of the time. And she grows some great looking plants.
    I hope more pple will post photos of their plants, even same as last year. We up north (at least me!) are happy when anything blooms in winter, lol.

And it's nice to see more blooms in darker days of winter...I have few others that should have been cut down for winter - like this pineapple sage that started blooming late August-September. It still has lots of buds & flowers, so I am keeping it in the basement for now (it is huge!).

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 10:52

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

Streptocarpella Blue Angel

The blooms are starting to fade, but still pretty. I have several African violets blooming.

Sue

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

Fuchsia

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sue

Those are very pretty.
    Do you overwinter your fuchsia every year? So far I haven't been very successful...

Another blooming plant is shrimp plant, not as much color as it should be but still nice.

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A small Thanksgiving cactus - this is from a cutting.
    Nice salmon color.

Rina

• auron22
    9 years ago

I just got back from dropping someone off at florida! Only staying for a day was a bummer, but i got plenty of pics of my grandmothers stuff....things used to be better, but she travels too much now for the yard she used to have.

Don't know what kind of begonia
    {{gwi:2119163}}

desert roses..grandma says this is them going dormant...wish things would bloom for me even when heading into dormancy. Hopefully i'll catch them in their prime next time.
    {{gwi:2119164}}
    {{gwi:2119165}}
    {{gwi:2119166}}
    {{gwi:2119167}}
    Don't mind the stubby hand...lol, it's in there for scale.
    {{gwi:2119168}}
    {{gwi:2119169}}
    {{gwi:2119170}}

I'll post some more in the near future.

Sue,
    I'm also curious about how you overwinter your fuschia's. I'm trying again right now in an unheated garage, but this time paying attention to watering and putting it in a warmer corner when it's -15F outside

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

Love those desert roses! Never heard of them before. The little Thanksgiving cactus is charming! I have new starts of Christmas & Easter cactus, but no sign of blooms. I thought they were too small, but they're bigger than yours.
    The fuchsia was purchased June 2013, so I've only wintered it once. I just put it in an east
    window, and took care of it like my other houseplants. These blooms are on some fresh starts I took last spring, from the old plant. This summer, the old plant got spider mites, so I severely pruned it, roots and all, washed it in soapy water, gave it fresh soil, and put it outside. After a few weeks it was looking lively again

• paul_
    9 years ago

Those Adeniums could use some serious pruning ... Would result in much fuller plants. Some nice caudices there!

Still putting out blooms ...

{{gwi:102960}}

pot o'pings
    {{gwi:115648}}

• paul_
    9 years ago

A couple more repeaters ...

{{gwi:102958}}

This post was edited by paul_ on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 9:09

9 years ago

Auron, that's a wax Begonia. They make awesome house plants, if you don't mind the dropped flowers.

Excellent blooms, everyone!

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    9 years ago

Thrilled with this one- my first " Cat" blooms. This is the second set of blooms since around Thanksgiving. Have had luck reblooming Phals but this is a first ever as far as Cats go. I bought it as a bag baby in 2012. It is Pot. Burana Beauty 'Burana'.
    Also have a phal that is just finishing and a few straggley fire begonia and Geranium blooms.

9 years ago

First Kalanchoe blossfeldiana (florist Kal) bloom of the season!

9 years ago

If this thread was in danger of running out of room for entries (150,) I'd try to have more self control.

Billbergia nutans (queen's tears) bud!

9 years ago

Tillandsia ionantha (an air plant) with a bud also! I've been waiting to see this one for almost 2 yrs. :+) Of course, I took its' pic right after misting it. (The only misting I do, BTW.)

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

My Easter Cactus is blooming :-)

9 years ago

Drop-dead gorgeous!

Parlor palms (Chamaedorea elegans) are blooming like crazy.

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

I just have one right now with open blooms, a jatropha podagrica. I do have an oncidium orchid about to open blooms and a moth orchid that just started to grow a new flower spike...but that's about it right now.

Jatropha podagrica open blooms-

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

I almost forgot the best one, a true Christmas cactus is getting ready to bloom soon for the first time since I've had it since this last summer. A nice woman gave me two pots of cuttings that I planted together.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

My 'Josh Green' namesake orchid opened just three days ago! Up close, the scent is wonderful...it smells like a slightly spicy sugar candy.

Josh

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Just opened up a couple days ago :-) it wasnt in flower when I bought it, so the blooms were a surprise.

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

My oncidium orchid decided to open one of its blooms this afternoon, I'm not much of an orange person, but I do love this one for some reason.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

'Bob Serbin' AV!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

p. 'Gigantea' Flower.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Thanksgiving cactus!

• Jason J
    9 years ago

The spiders never seem to stop blooming or pupping. I am going to have enough babies to supply a nursery lol

Baby toe....to cough cough sick to get the botanical names :)
    {{gwi:2119174}}

This guy just hasn't let up either. Rosary Vine
    {{gwi:2119175}}

Second bloom on the same peduncle. Hoya
    {{gwi:2119176}}

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Jay- nice. I got my hoya the summer before last, and havent gotten it to bloom. Even having it on the east balcony this past summer.

• parodise
    9 years ago

My hybrid rescue Cattleya currently in bloom, two more spikes are about to open

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

Wonderful flowers, everyone. I am especially surprised about EC.
    Here are mine blooms:
    This one is taken in November, but the whole plant still continued to flower for a while so it sort of counts
    {{gwi:2119177}}
    Next ones are December:
    He isn't red, but orange, my last purchase and I think I have already one like this *sighs*
    {{gwi:2119178}}
    This was a gift from colleague in my birthday:
    {{gwi:2119179}}
    This came in Thor paper, but he still didn't have the name, I even visited their website, but he didn't really mach... perhaps... Thor Freya...:
    {{gwi:2119180}}
    Another new one:
    {{gwi:2119181}}
    {{gwi:2119182}}
    My Samba Brazil:
    {{gwi:2119183}}
    Last new one:
    {{gwi:2119184}}
    {{gwi:2119185}}
    This year I got 6 new TCs, 3 of mine TCs which were the same color I gifted as Christmas presents to my colleagues.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

My Christmas Cactus missed the mark by a day! :-D

Josh

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Echeveria Opal Moon (at least that's what the tag said if I remember correctly) not the best pic.... But it's dark now.....can't wait until it opens (so does that count? Lol)

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

Paperwhites, I just love their cute little blooms and smell. It's only one plant that has opened out of six, I just hope the smell doesn't get too overwhelming when the others open. I remember a few years ago I forced bloomed some hyacinths that smelled like rotting garbage really bad, I was forced to throw them outside in the snow where they quickly died... I will never grow those again!!

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

My oncidium orchid has three open blooms now.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Parodise, GREAT job on that rescue..I saved a few myself and I can't wait for them to flower.

Beautiful flowers everyone...

I particlularly love anything in flower with a fragrance...Nice work

Just a few of my orchids..

Cattleya's..

Dendrobium Spinosum

{{gwi:149226}}

Oncidium..

This on I can't remmber off the top of my head..Maybe Paul knows)

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 13:34

• Rodden-Blessed
    9 years ago

Sorry about the picture quality and direction, but here is my Maternity Plant in bloom in my work office. It's definitely not a really common bloom.

Enjoy

• Rodden-Blessed
    9 years ago

Again, sorry for the picture being in the wrong rotation, but here is a Thanksgiving cactus that has four buds coming from one leaf. I've never seen this before, and I've had both Thanksgiving and Christmas cacti most of my life. I'll follow this post up with an actual bloom shot.

• Rodden-Blessed
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of the leaf with four buds when it finally bloomed. Only three of the four made it, but it was still a very productive leaf to produce three blooms. The plant actually belongs of my friend who isn't very mindful of her plants, and she left this one outside way too long and it got nipped with a freeze and a good deal of the plant froze. A plant's will to survive is incredible!

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

My Queen's Tears, billbergia nutans I just got yesterday in the mail from Shoal Creek Succulents, my mom bought them for me along with an Euphorbia platyclada for me for Christmas, and the billbergia has three blooms on it, and they're just so much more beautiful in real life.

9 years ago

Well this month started off slow, but is finishing with a bang! Such beautiful plants, awesome pics everyone!

Whoever showed the baby toes, it's Fenestraria.

...and apparently Latvia is the answer to the question, "where are the hiding all of the more unusual Schlumbergera truncatas (holiday cacti?")

Kalanchoe blossfeldiana (florist Kal.)

9 years ago

Messy but cute, wax Begonias.

Happy New Year, everyone!

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

purpleinopp, lol, and I am always thinking they are so ordinary...

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

I like wax begonias :-) last year I overwintered a big, tall one. But it had foliar nematodes...every time its growth slowed, the nematodes caught up. So I left it to the frost this year.

Now i am much enjoying my new ones- small enough to fit on the windowsill. :-) cute!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm