Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need rubber tree plant help

Posted by kinklosity New York (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 12, 08 at 11:28

I hope you can help me--I have a new rubber tree plant (bought it from someone in the neighborhood who was moving). It was vigorous and healthy when I brought it home a week ago, but in the past few days it has started dropping leaves on the bottom and the bottom half of the tree has leaves that are curling all about the edges.

It is next to a southern exposure window, ambient temperature is probably about 70 indoors (I live in Brooklyn), and have only watered it once (about two cups of water since the top inches of soil felt like they were getting a bit on the dry side). I am fairly certain that it is in a pot of the correct size for it.

I have also been misting it daily since I read they are most at home in humid temperatures and I know that it is dry in my apartment.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need rubber tree plant help

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 12, 08 at 12:26

It's not unusual for members of the Ficus genus to shed leaves when light conditions go from bright to dim, especially if the change is not gradual, as in seasonal change. The misting may make you feel better, but it does nothing for the plant and is more likely to be counterproductive than a help.

The link below is to a lengthy discussion about maintaining F. elastica in containers.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me & I'll take you to see more info

o

Hi there, thanks for your reply--I was just informed that the plant is a Schefflera, not a rubber tree. The leaves are curling a lot including the baby ones. Some are curling so much that little rips are appearing in the leaves. Not sure how to address these issues?

Top couple inches of soil are damp, not wet, have been watering about once a week. Top third of the leaves off the stalk look robust, bottom 2/3rds look droopy and curling.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 17, 08 at 15:17

First check the plant carefully for mites and scale. For mites, hold a white piece of paper under the plant & then tap the branches. Look for tiny specks moving on the paper. For scale, visually inspect branches & leaves for flattened, crusty lumps from light tan to dark brown in color. If they pull free when you rub a hard object over them (pencil point) it's scale.

Al

o

Schefflera can go for a long time between waterings (which should be done until it comes out the drain hole though) and if your friend had watered just before you got the plant, and it's not in ideal light (or even if it is) it may have gotten too much.

o

I think I gave my rubber tree plant Baby-Bio and its now loosing its leaves, any advice please please as I love my plant.

Thank you

o

Hi Julie,

Generally it's best to start a new thread for every new question, this thread's more than 2 years old.

Maybe if you tell us what Baby-Bio is, someone can try to help you; a picture would help too.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 23:58

Karen is right, Julie, but you might find the thread I linked to below to be helpful. If you have questions after reading, you can also ask them there.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Ficus in containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here