Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena Florida Beauty stopped growing?

Posted by Eric580 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 12:07

When we got this plant, it was $1 at Lowe's, so we took him in.We named him Hector after the Trojan prince. He was moved to a larger pot and given housplant fertilizer once a month for two months now. He hasn't grown since. There are leaf buds, but they haven't changed since he was bought. He gets filtered sun through a privacy blind that lets in sun. Please help. Thanks, Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena Florida Beauty stopped growing?

Hector looks fine, these are very slow growing plants. Fertilizer can't increase it's natural growth speed.

o

Thanks! I was worried about him. So, when will he start to grow more?

o

I don't know if this Drac is a seasonal grower, taking a rest during the shorter days of winter. Glacially slow at any time, never observed a growth spurt. I've tried giving mine a bit more sun while outside but it just burns if the sun shines directly on it except very early in the morning.

If you have just the one plant, it might be worth getting distilled water for it. Dracs are 'allergic' to tap water chemicals.

o

Oh ok. Would it be good to use the chlromine treatment drops I use for the fish tank to soften the water?

o

IDK. Not something I've ever researched or discussed. Does that negate fluoride? I do use some tap water for the short time plants are inside for winter, then use rain water as much as possible while they are outside. I have way too many plants to buy (or transport) distilled.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here