Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parthenocissus stricta

Posted by plantsaremylife_grow 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 12:28

Hi all,

Im kinda new and havent posted in a really, really, really long time. Any way, im wondering if anyone on this forum grow Parthenocissus stricta. Some of the local stores have some very nice looking hanging pots of this plant from EA. Ive looked at them many time but always passed them up for fear of how they would react. To me they look like a plant that might react badly with lots of leaf drop. The local stores dont seem to be able to keep them attractive for long either. I dont know if its inconsistency with watering or temp fluctuation or what. Nice looking pots will be in the nurseries for a couple weeks then the next thing you know the plants have lost all the leafs and the pots are on their way to the trash
:( Just wanted some thought before I give in and by one of these.

The plant will probably go in a East bedroom window with a good amount of light right through mid day and the average temp is 68-72 degrees F. Moderate humidity.

As of now I also grow the normal Cissus rhom. and "Ellen Danica". Unfortunatley I placed the rhom. in low light for a short time after bringing it in from the out doors and it threw a fit with mass leaf drop. Its now near a bright North window in recovery...which is very slow at the moment. Maybe since these grow ok in my house the Parthenocissus would grow as well? Thanks for the imput!

Kyle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parthenocissus stricta

The difficulty with this lovely plant is its need for a constantly high level of humidity. Small ones make good terrarium plants. A related plant that looks very similar is Parthenocissus striata. It's supposedly easier to grow indoors than P. stricta, but I never had much luck with it longterm. Sometimes when I see hanging pots of P. stricta for sale, I think they're mislabled, and the plant is actually P. striata -- I'm never sure, but I suspect that is often the case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here