Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

Spring Bulbs as Houseplants

marquest
12 years ago

Anyone chilling any Spring Bulbs for the house this year? I have never attempted this before but my sad feeling is making me do things I never tried before.

If anyone has done this before can you give me some hints. I have them in the fridge. I have read 8 weeks then pot up.

If it does not work I am not out of a lot of money. HD had them for 75% off, I picked up Hyacinth, Daff and Narcissus paperwhites.

Comments (7)

• greenchic
    12 years ago

I once grew paperwhite during the winter in a bathroom that got lots oaylight. the smell was so wonderful!they didnt last very long, maybe a few days to a week, probably due part to the dry air and heat in the house. i got them at a steep discount too, but at the time i thought when they die im suppose to throw them away like cut flowers. wish id known then what i kno now lol!

• gravyboots
    12 years ago

Sometimes my Mom forces paperwhites & gives them to us for Christmas; usually they're potted in something really coarse so they can be watered pretty freely without rotting the bulb. Your house is going to smell heavenly with both pw's AND hyacinth!! When the bulb is done doing its thing, let it dry out, store in a cool place & bring it out again next year :) Good Luck & Have Fun!

GB

• zzackey
    12 years ago

Why don't you try some herbs in a sunny window? Rubbing my fingers over the leaves and smelling them always makes me happy. Plus the food you can make with them tastes so much better.

• goren
    12 years ago

With the paperwhites you should have received some directions to bring about their flowering.
    The other bulbs, properly planted in the fall, given the cool soil, will develop roots. Once they have roots, they then are protected from deep winter freezes---down to 40 below.
    Without roots, they are just fodder for animals wishing to have a free meal.
    In the spring, they turn to mush and then are open to insects using them to plant nests in.
    Forcing a bulb is done by giving them a period of cooling.
    But if you wait too long the flowering comes when you probably were better to have put them into the ground in the fall.
    To finish the 8 weeks you started, they will require a further 6 - 7 weeks.
    You can see from this time period that you must start the process in October/November to have flowering January through April. You can cool them for longer periods, but the stems will be shorter for those cooled shorter than 13 weeks and long on those cooled longer than 14 weeks.
    Generally plant in October for flowering in January; mid October for February; and early to mid November for April flowers.

In the case of planting them outside, you could then bring them inside for their flowers.
    But digging up a bulb when it hasn't had a chance of sending the starches back down into the bulb can result in the bulb not ever flowering again.
    Whatever you do, bulbs forced must have excellent drainage but never should they dry out.
    They do not need fertilizing during forcing.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Brings back memories from my childhood. I was walking home from school in early spring thru the back alleys and noticed someone threw away some flowerpots with soil in them. I brought them home with me and noticed bulbs in them. I started to water them. Looked like the 1st. time all winter. Then the tulips started to sprout and each pot had at least 6 in them. They all bloomed and my aunt took them home to her place to plant afterwards. Couldn't do it again. My guess they were in a unheated area and some one through they were dead. Lucky me.
    Stush

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Pot 'em up, water then in, and THEN put them back in the fridge. Those spring flowering bulbs develop their roots in the cold.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Paperwhites and other tazetta type Narcissi don't need chilling. They can be grown at room temperature. And they grow really fast.