Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this be ok?

Posted by Lamora 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 12:53

Hi all, hope your weekend is going well. :)
I gave in, could not stand the smell of the soil of my Thanksgiving Cactus any more, it smelled moldy to me. So I got some 5-1-1 mix made up, washed out the new pot, took the TC out of the old soil, and this is what I found!
Photobucket
hardly any root at all! It looks like she cut off a big stem from the person she got it from and just put it in soil, the big stem has no roots at all! Makes us wonder just how long she had this. Will it grow roots in time? The segments look fine, it just kinda shocked me that it hardly had any roots for as big as it is. or am I just being paranoid.. again.. lol

Thanks in advance
Marjie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this be ok?

oh and I had another question too, about maybe putting it outside for cooler air.. how low of a temp can it go before it isn't good for a Thanksgiving Cactus? We are between 40-50F during the day, Is that too cold? Been looking it up and from what I read, not below 60F. Just wondering what you thought of that?

thanks again
Marjie

o

Is that all connected as one plant?

o

Purple~~no, there are 2 different plants, the larger stem was kind of wrapped up in the smaller roots, it would have been very easy to take apart if I had wanted to. Didn't want to do that, was afraid of hurting it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here