Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Ficus pumila 'Snowflake'

Posted by randy 6-VA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 13:09

I found a pot of this charming plant at Lowes on their $1 table. It has done well but I wanted to propagate it. I did not know its name at the time but I found out that this plant is a fig and supposedly a 'climbing fig'. I see no means for it to climb at all. I wanted a few others to use in a hanging basket since it is such a cheerful plant. Did the usual, putting some cuttings in a moist medium and nothing has happened in over a month or so. No roots at all while the cuttings look as healthy they can.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Ficus pumila 'Snowflake'

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 16:52

F pumila is a clinging vine that eventually can developed a specialized adhesive pad from adventitious roots that grow along the length of the vine. These pads secrete a sticky compound that allows the plant to cling to almost any material. The adventitious roots first form in pairs at internodes on young stems. As they divide, the root hairs stick together forming the adhesive pad. If the pad doesn't come in contact with a substrate it eventually dries up. Key to you, is the fact that if they touch moist soil while they are young, they (the roots) tend to morph to a terrestrial form, which makes them one of the easiest of plants to root.

Be patient. You're on people time and the plant is on plant time ...... and stop tugging on it to see if it's rooted! ;-)

Al

o
RE: Propagating Ficus pumila 'Snowflake'

What Al said.

Will also add that, for many plants, soil warmth is beneficial for cuttings to root. Considering the time of year, perhaps your dwelling is cool enough to slow down the rooting process? Keep the cutting(s) OUT of direct sunlight and in a warm brightly lit area. (Since the cuttings have no roots, being in direct sunlight can cause the cuttings to dry out too quickly before roots have a chance to develop.) Typically you will know rooting has occurred when you see new leaves being produced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here