Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning corn plant

Posted by james_ny z7 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 07 at 13:18

I have a corn plant thats hitting the ceiling. I'm told that if i cut the stem down it will resprout new leaves. Is this true? I've had the plant for over 15 years and i don't want to kill it [it's flowered twice]. It has two stalks , i'd cut one first and if it resprouts do the other.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning corn plant

yes it's true. just get a substance called rooting horomone. it's usuall a powder. you'll also need a very sharp knife, & fresh dirt. the same pot will be ok, because they like to be rootbound anyway & have a relatively small root area compared to whats above ground.

just decide how many trunks you wanna end up w/ & cut the trunks into several pieces, keeping track of which end is up & which is down. this is important as you don't wanna mess up the plant water drinking abilities.

next stick the down end into water & the into the rooting powder. shake off the excess & plant the end powder & all into the dirt, mounding it up around the trunk to help support itself until roots develop. water plant & leave it int it's usual place in your home.

after a few weeks, you'll start seeing new growth every where you made a cut. by then there will be roots as well.

it won't kill the tree, just give it a new boost on life. i did this to a cornplant, about 10 yrs ago & it's really lovely. was about 5 feet tall & spindly & really uglt looking. now it's got 7 or 8 trunks & is nicely leafed out.\

and 2 of the trunks are ones that grew up which were not orginal trunks. good luck w/ your baby, lil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here