Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Philodendron Issues! Browning tips/misformed new growth

Posted by LizHart17 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 13:19

Hi all, I'm new to this site and in desperate need of some philodendron advice!

There's been an average sized philodendron, the specific variety I'm unsure, upstairs in my house for years. After moving into said room about two years ago with this plant, I fell in love and took over her care immediately. My Esmeralda did very well for the first year, having to be repotted twice because she grew so big. Now ever since this summer which was a very hot and humid one in NYC she seems to be getting these pesky brown spots that have consumed a majority of her leaves entirely. I repotted her one more time about 3 weeks ago because it was apparent she needed it. This worked well for about half of her growth that seemed to be failing. However now I'm seeing even the leaves that began looking healthy are now getting these odd lesions again. I really don't know what to do but I don't want to lose my plant!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Philodendron Issues! Browning tips/misformed new growth

Hi,

Do you have pets? Looks maybe like a cat's been at it.

o

yes ...or some other kind of mechanical injury that may not have been apparent immediately, like...

"I repotted her one more time about 3 weeks ago" Could have happened then. Doesn't look like any kind of pest damage I've ever heard of or seen if that was your concern.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 16:20

I agree that it LOOKS like mechanical injury, but if it leads to the eventual loss of the entire leaf, we need to look to other possible causes. If that (in the picture) was evidence of mechanical injury, we wouldn't expect it to spread to involve the entire leaf.

What has your nutritional supplementation program been like? Do the lesions appear to be prevalent on either new or older foliage?

Al

o

PS I see no brown tips at all, did I miss something?

Could you pls. show us the whole plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here