Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vlmastra

Rhaphidophora tetrasperma

vlmastra
13 years ago

Has anyone tried this guy? I noticed it on Angel's website. It's something like a small Monstera deliciosa. Apparently he (it) is in the tribe Monstereae of Araceae as well, but it does look quite different. Any ideas on humidity needs? Is it reasonably tolerant of indoor conditions?

Exotic Angel says that it is a "novice" plant. Then again, their tags often have bad nomenclature and misleading advice, so I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

PS: I'd post direct links for you guys, but the forum blocks commercial domains. Evading the wordfilter is easy but probably against the rules!

Use the link below for a google search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search

Comments (4)

• vlmastra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PSS: I hope it's okay to mention vendors by name! If not, please ignore/delete this thread, LOL. :)

• dellis326 (Danny)
    13 years ago

Rhaphidophora tetrasperma is only distantly related to Monstera and Philodendron. It is from almost the other side of the world in SW asia, the others are from central and south america.

Grow it in a good moist but not wet loose fast draining grow mix, Something like 50% - 60% shredded bark or pumice, with the rest equal parts peat and compost with a little charcoal tossed in, mix it all well and don't pack it down into the pot. Alot of folks here would recommend Turface but I've never used it so I can't give an opinion of it but I've been in the research greenhouses at MOBOT in St. Louis and they use a similar mix there and some of the plants grow in it for years. Than give it something to climb cuz it'll want to climb if you give it good growing conditions. By giving it a pole to climb it will attach its roots to that rather than something like a table leg or the molding around your windows. If you get roots that just stick out in the air you can either guide them as they get longer back into the potting mix to aid in feeding the upper portions of the plant, leave them to hang loosely or just cut them off.

Ideally, humidity should be on the higher end of things but like most house plants it should be able to adapt somewhat to home conditions, Just don't let it dry out. I have for the last couple of years ran a humidifier and it makes a huge difference to both my plants and how I feel during the winter.

Check out the link below for more info, it is not my site or a commercial site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhaphidophora tetrasperma

• penfold2
    13 years ago

I've had mine for a little over 6 months now and it's done very well. I grow it in pure lava rock, as I do all my epiphytes. I kept it outside last summer, and brought it in the greenhouse this fall where it gets about 40-60% humidity, and 12 hours of fluorescent light plus what little sun there is this time of year.

I see that EA lists them on their website, but I've never seen one for sale around here. I had to get mine from a private collector. If you can get one, I'd say go for it.

• vlmastra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cool! Sounds good. I also saw Monstera obliqua at Hirt's, which looks even more distinctive. I know what I'm buying! Thanks!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz