Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dying patchouli- help!

Posted by greengreen 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 13:48

i've had a patchouli plant, potted for a few years & now keep an offspring propagated from a clipping inside,
year-round as a houseplant. it has never grown to become as "woody stemmed", nor hardy-looking like its parent plant
but, while rather short- it still got full and bushy this past spring-summer.
now it appears to be dying dropping leaves daily from soil out to tips. i was afraid it was getting inconsistent waves of heat
as it was somewhat near a heat register (and the weathers getting colder) so i moved it from it's lifelong spot
in an eastern-facing window to a southern-facing window.

it is still dropping leaves & i wonder if i should cut it back aggressively (any tips?)
*although the only leaves left are towards the branch ends*
i water it fairly regularly although i make be guilty of letting the soil dry out to much btwn waterings
(blaming the indoor heating for drying out soil faster*).
i read about using diluted coffee for reviving plants. should i try that? though that may only be helpful for tropicals..?
i use Schultz Liquid Plant Food 10-15-10 usually. should i apply another/different kind of fertilizer?

please help, i really like this plant.
any advice would be much appreciated. thank you for reading.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dying patchouli- help!

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 17:44

Please don't use coffee or tea on the plant, they are not tonics, regardless of what you might read.

10-15-10 does have much more P in it than your plant could ever use (in relation to the amount of N), so a fertilizer with a different ratio (ratios are different than NPK %s) would be better. 10-15-10 is a 2:3:2 ratio fertilizer. A 3:1:2 ratio like 24-8-16, 12-4-8, or 9-3-6 would be a better choice because it supplies nutrients in the same ratio as the average ratio in which plants use nutrients.

That said, it's probably not the fertilizer that's at issue. The usual prime suspect would be over-watering, but under-watering could be an issue as well. Some plants respond vigorously to a decrease in light by shedding foliage; and one of the primary symptoms of tight roots is that 'tufted' or 'poodle' look that occurs when foliage is concentrated mostly near apices (branch/stem tips).

It's difficult to tell what might be going on with your plant, so I wopuld suggest that you return to the basics & make sure that you aren't inadvertently limiting your plant by providing unfavorable cultural conditions that ensure significant limitations.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: About the basics .........

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here