Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyndrose_gw

3 new given plants

wyndrose
10 years ago

This is one the dirt is dry and I have see a couple of leaves fall off. Does anyone know the name of it? I have it in the kitchen window behind the sink.
Frances

Comments (11)

• wyndrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the other 2 they look like they might be the.same but the one in front is real mushy and the top of the roots are out of the dirt . I am thinking of repoting it just not sure yet. Does anyone know its name? I am going to post on the cactus board too
    Frances

• michael1846
    10 years ago

alo & jade

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

These were ID'd on C/S but it did kind of seem like it wasn't getting any attention, huh, Michael?

Any signs of improvement, Rose? They are both windowsill-worthy, IMO. Hope that's enough sun to cheer them up (assuming they weren't frozen to death, in which case it's beyond your control if they don't improve.)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Sorry Michael, but guessed at IDs don't help much. There is no Jade among these pix.

I get that you're trying to help, but perhaps next time mention that you're just guessing (which a number of us make plain when we do).

• wyndrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I lost one

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The first one looks to be a very mature Sedum nussbaumerianum, and the second could be Haworthia or perhaps a hybrid Haw x Aloe...I'm really bad at those ID's.

Josh

10 years ago

Was it the one in front in the 2nd pic, Wynd?

• wyndrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes it was. I am thinking of using rain water for my plants. The other plant is getting brown

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Sorry you lost one.

I'd suggest it's the soil here that's the problem, not the watering. If they were mine, I'd change to a more porous, faster draining mix. Maybe even try for a bit more sun (gradually) if possible.

10 years ago

Yes, what's in these pots looks like it would be muddy when wet, then take forever to dry out. Same thing was advised on C/S. Watering at all may not be necessary for extended periods for these plants, especially the Aloe, especially while it's winter, cooler shorter days. Desert plants thrive on drying out, that's what they're made to do - cope with long periods of drought while retaining moisture from infrequent rains (after which the ground dries within a day.) They rot easily, predictably when soil stays moist in a pot. I would be much more concerned with that than type of water, because so little water is needed for the next few months. Even in the best mix, Aloe in a house shouldn't be watered often, however long it takes to dry out thoroughly.

I love to water plants too so one of the ways I've been able to not kill them, in addition to the main first step of using a chunky, porous, airy 'soil mix,' is to pack pots full of plants that like the same amount of light and moisture. This leaves much less excess soil around the roots of each, and more plants use the moisture more quickly. Roots need access to oxygen as well as moisture, so not packing soil tightly around roots will help to keep the tiny air pockets within the pot.

Generally though, the reasons to use rain (or distilled, or condensate from dehumidifier or A/C) water instead of tap are numerous, I wholeheartedly agree!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Rose, I believe your first plant is Sedum...the other two look like GasterAloes.

Sorry you lost one..which succulent did you lose?

What type of soil do you pot in? Looks like black, house plant soil with very few amendments.
    Succulents are fussy about soil. Soil must dry between watering, moreso during winter.

Purp, nice succulent garden. Is the largest plant a Peperomia, Rainbow? They're so pretty, too bad I kill them. :(

Hi Purple, Karen and Josh.