Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by Musiche none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 14:14

I was checking out this Facebook page called "Learn Something About Plants" (really cool site full of weird plant articles) and there is an album with photos of the plants they write their articles about. There is a photo of this one plant that will be featured in an upcoming article, but it doesn't say what it is. Does anyone know?

Here's a link to the plant picture:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=403475383059960&set=pb.403465013060997.-2207520000.1356202735&type=3&theater

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

Hi Musiche...It looks like Stapelia commonly known as carrion or Toad Plant.
Could be S. gigantea, also known as S. nobilis and S. marlothii.

Toni

o

Toni, no, that's something else. The blooms on the ones you name are about 8" across and are yellow. This has to be one of those oddities that blooms once every 25 years or longer. It looks like a type of carrion flower, so I'll bet he's holding his breath...

o

o

Yes, it's Rafflesia.

o

Hi
I can't get the pic!! Someone is actually culturing Rafflesia?? gary

o

Try this, to get to the OP's link, Gary.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

o

Hi
Obviously NOt culturing just visiting lol Have heard they have advanvanced to an eighty percent chance of innoculation using tetrastigma "Vietnamese yam"as a host .
have heard that Kew gdns and Missouri Bo is attempting it . Heard Fairchild was also but can't find in the catallog. They seem to be guarding the transmission method ;probably because they bring so many tourists?? lol
The giant Amorphos are getting commonplace in the larger gardens and one of these would be a draw? Fantasti plant for sure!! gary

o

Howdy All,

Musiche..Sorry about that. I never heard of Rafflesia, so had to Google..Your plant is Rafflesia. It's very rare, unusual and so pretty.

Purple, thanks for correcting my error. Toni

o

Toni, I wasn't sure either, just playing along. And I really enjoyed googling pics of what you suggested, a bonus, IMHO!

Actually the credit goes to Eahamel. It was her mention of carrion flower (which would be the common name for this plant, from what I could tell, so it was ID'd when she said that) that helped me find a matching pic, which I wasn't all certain was correctly labeled.

o

Oh Id love to see a Rafflesia in cultivation!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here