Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting and re-growing an Aphelandra Zebra Plant

Posted by asiatic_lily82 SE Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 23, 10 at 14:21

I read a recent post on how to get an Aphelandra to "leaf out," and the most helpful suggestion was to cut it down and re-grow the cuttings, making a new plant. I want to do this to my Zebra Plant, as it has become really tall and scraggly. What is the best way to do this? Should I use rooting hormone on the cut tips? Do I put the cuttings in water or sand? I've noticed many plants sprout roots when you cut them and put them in water, but this doesn't always work. Sometimes the plant just dies.

Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated! I don't want to kill this plant!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting and re-growing an Aphelandra Zebra Plant

I don't grow this, but was reading around online & if you do some searches, you'll find info & directions for propagation.

Whatever you do, pls. note this is the wrong time of year for it, best to do in Spring/Summer. While I know this about other plants, the sites I was browsing for you suggested the same, best to wait 'til Spring/Summer.

o
RE: Cutting and re-growing an Aphelandra Zebra Plant

Thanks. I was really hoping to cut the thing down soon, but since it hates the cold, and I don't want to kill it, it'll just have to wait.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here