Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to train mandevilla onto a bamboo stick?

Posted by haloony 6B (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 14:24

Hey All,

I have a mandevilla on my desk and I would love to train it onto a bamboo stick. I have pictures to show what I am trying to do. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on the best way to get a mandevilla to latch onto and climb up a certain object. Here are my pics:

The first pic is a close up of the vine that I would like have climb up the pictured bamboo stick. The second pic just offers a wider angle. Should I just leave the bamboo stick up against the vine as pictured? If so, I have tried that and the vine does not always cooperate. Sometimes it looks like it is going to wind around the stick but I look up after an hour and it turns the wrong way. The motility of the vines is amazing but also frustrating in this case. Or perhaps is the best option to manually wind the plant around the stick.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to train mandevilla onto a bamboo stick?

I have a small bamboo trellis in the pot with my mandevilla. All I do is guide the young vines counterclockwise one half turn or so around one of the legs. I believe they are strongly oriented to go only one way -- mine always goes counterclockwise. If you just start them on their way, they will clasp and climb. The vines grow more woody as they mature, so you need to work with the very green tips. Mine are flexible to about 18 inches. You could use a very soft, loose tie, but the tips are easily damaged, so you need to be gentle. You might need to move the bamboo stick closer to the pot.

o
RE: Best way to train mandevilla onto a bamboo stick?

Hey,

Thanks for the tip. I haven't had any luck yet but I'm gonna keep trying.

Thanks,
Hal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here