Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Aerial roots

Thought it might be fun to share pics of aerial roots on different plants. Heart-leaf Philo:

Comments (82)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hi Greentoe!

How's the prince of orange doing since the training of the roots? Any new growth? Would love to see more pics of it if you could manage it. :)

As mentioned a bit ago...the aerials I'm getting on my aggie seedlings begged for photos so I snapped a couple...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Another...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

And another...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

And one more should do it! :)

Edited for a better pic.

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 17:15

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

>> How's the prince of orange doing since the training of the roots? Any new growth?

I have not noticed increase in the pace of new growth attributable to my sticking the roots into the ground, but it's been sending out new salmon-colored leaves constantly, one at a time, albeit slowly. I just recently set it on top of a lamp for some extra daytime warmth - I'll see what that leads to.

>> Would love to see more pics of it if you could manage it. :)

Glad to oblige! This reminds me - I wanted to post a thread about something weird with my philodendron. Here it is, including a fresh picture: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0921315230078.html.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

Somehow I missed this thread.
    Monstera;

This post was edited by dellis326 on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 23:02

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

Philodendron;

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Nice stuff!

Here's a syngonium doing it now. Recognize this little guy Purp?

How do ya like the new kickstand?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent additions!!

Good stuff about the anoles, BTW, TY. Kickstand - LOL! Cute.

Here's some on Callisia repens.

Original Author
    10 years ago

A different Philo (from heart-leaf)
    {{gwi:116051}}

Heart-leaf Philo root attached to oak stick.
    {{gwi:116052}}

More heart-leaf Philo root attached to oak stick.
    {{gwi:116053}}

Tradescantia zebrina root response to being stuck in a hole in the side of a hanging basket:
    {{gwi:116055}}

Scindapsus and Pothos shoots together. The thin one on top is the Scindapsus. When I put my finger there to see if that little root in the middle was attached, it came loose but there was slight resistance first. So, I guess I disturbed it while trying to attach.
    {{gwi:116057}}

Pothos (Epipremnum) roots definitely attached, and after only a couple weeks. This vine was dangling over the side before then.
    {{gwi:116059}}

The Monstera roots are growing faster than the leaves. I wonder if this board is treated with something, but I wouldn't even know what.
    {{gwi:116061}}

"Cloud" of Tradescantia zebrina roots, looking up under the hanging foliage.
    {{gwi:116062}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

You DO know that your different phil is an erubescens,right? Believe it's the exact same cultivar that I have in combo with other phils(you were the inspiration behind that btw). If not then I just thought I'd mention it.

Cool to see the scindapsus grabbing ahold. In time we shall see once and for all what this beastie will do once allowed to climb(as you recall the net was sparse for such an image).

A ficus elastica decora (rubber tree)cutting that I took months ago seems as ready to probe the air as any other ficus when placed in a terrarium.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Here's a slightly closer look.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Here's a peek at the micans(if we can even call it by that name anymore).

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

And a close up...

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Here are roots on Homalomena Em Gem, Bryophyllum fedtschenkoi, Rhipsalis cassutha, and some crassula. I have a Prince of Orange with aerial roots as well.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Okay...so these pics aren't the best in the world but hopefully you will be able to see what's going on here...an aerial is turning back in on the plant. I intend to leave it be,..unless there's a problem here that I'm not aware of. I've never seen this kind of behavior before so right about now I'm pretty clueless.

What do you guys think?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Not that it will help but here's a closer(not so great)shot...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Oh well...

Thanks anyway you guys. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

In the last pic, I can't tell what's going on well. Almost looks like a new leaf above the root.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Well actually that (if we're looking at the same thing)leaf you're looking at is the older one (the pinkest from older photos around here somewhere). There is the beginning of a new leaf further up and out of the shot,but as this ag is somehow a bit more stubborn to budge when compared to some of the others I'm being patient with it and not expecting any miracles anytime soon...that leaf has been taunting me for months now and is definitely running on it's own schedule. So the part that's hard to figure even with the naked eye is which side of the root is emerging and which side is where the point has turned back around and begun to bury itself back into itself...but I think it's coming out from the righthand side and digging into the covering of the union of petiole and stem on the left side of the photo. Kinda confusing to say the least.

Original Author
    9 years ago

(Yes, I got confused, sorry...!)

Kalanchoe x houghtonii making aerial babies with roots.

Original Author
    9 years ago

This isn't a house plant, but definitely aerial roots in the rotting crook of a tree. Has stinky flowers and notorious for breaking, short-lived. Who can guess it?

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

My tree philodendron. Those aerial roots saved it's life after the previous owner rotted out the entire base of the trunk.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Omg...Purp...I'm not even gonna take a stab at that lol...Maybe someone else knows?

Oh by the by,Purp...that aglaonema pictured above is in a bad way. Having had to put it out too early this year,it's a miracle it survived at all. Spoiler alert...it's gonna take a box-ride somewhere way south of me...any guesses where it's headed? ;)
    I have supreme confidence that it's recipient will bring it back from the sad state that it's in now. :)

Lauraeli,
    It really is an impressive save. You really did well by it. :)

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

We've got a few things with aerial roots at the moment, but the winner has to be this monstera at the top of the stairwell!
    You can see the root from the front door when you come in the house!
    I always wonder if visitors notice it.

Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a Bradford pear tree that I just showed.

Very cool, Laureli!

Asleep, sounds great, and hope you're right!

Jack, that's wild! Your Begonia looks like a million too.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Wow Jack,
    that's a heckuva root there,huh?
    Can't speak for all your visitors,but the plant people sure would notice.

I think people like us are always on high alert to notice such things anyway though

Ever felt the temptation to put the end of an overly adventurous root in a jar of water? Naturally the tissue would be different from something you could pot directly into mix without somehow hardening it off first,but what if that was never your intent? Wonder if you could feed it if the jar had a weak solution of fert?

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Asleep, if the super duper root ever gets anywhere near the floor, that's what I want to do! I've heard of people growing aroids with completely submerged roots in aquaterrariums, so I'm guessing the plant would just drink the water and grow more roots!
    I'm not sure if my root will ever get that far, though. It'd need to be over three metres long. That's about ten feet...! I know I should probably put it in the soil for the plant's sake, but I really want to see how big it can get.

Thanks, Purple! I have no idea what that begonia even is. My grandmother gave me a cutting some years ago. Whatever it is, it's super easy to grow.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Get a large drinking straw and using a pair of scissors or a knife,make a slice down the length of it. The slit is for easy removal if/when necessary. Guide the tip of the root into the end of the straw and you're done. With the humidity it sweats off collecting in the straw,it will grow a lot faster. Adjust the straw as it grows of course. :)

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Hey, that's a cool idea!
    I'd have to use some other pipe instead, though, since the root is wider than a drinking straw.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Not the store bought kind but the kind you'd get at a fast food joint. Some places have notably larger straws. Personally I'd be scared to try with anything else because straws are nice and lightweight and most importantly easy enough to peal away if/when you forget to check on it and it's growing out the other side. Not sure that piping would peal away like a straw would should it become necessary. This would be my only concern.

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Oh yeah, I know the kind of straw you mean. I don't tend to see a lot of those since we don't have many fast food places nearby.
    I think I'll just let the monstera do its thing. We have an evaporative cooler which makes it really humid in the summer anyway. I think that's how it managed to get so long in the first place!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Tripogandra serrulata (purple scimitars) with serious aerial roots.

Tillandsia ionantha (an air plant)

From the other side:

Original Author
    7 years ago

Philodendron erubescens vine.

Phalaenopsis orchid.

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    7 years ago

This is a tiny version of the tree that Al posted in his first comment in this thread - Ficus benghalensis. That massive tree is from my home town :) Mine is about 12 years old. If I give it more space I am sure it will produce more aerial roots. Needs a nicer pot though.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Dwarf umbrella/octopus tree (Schefflera arboricola) aerial roots.

The foliage in the background is Peperomia verticillata, sharing the pot.

This pic makes them look small, but trees have never looked this good/happy.
    Sticking out the front = variegated zigzag plant (Euphorbia tithymaloides.)

Original Author
    7 years ago

Jelly bean plant (Sedum rubrotinctum) is making some.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Tiffany, long time no see. Aerial (adventitious) roots are the norm for many plants of the Crassulaceae family.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi! Thanks for the info. Would love to see some of your root pics if you feel like putting some up. :+)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    7 years ago

Ah, let me .....root around for them.

• bielo83
    7 years ago

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hard to capture with more foliage in the way by now, but the ones on Schefflera are really going for it. Some are almost to the soil. (Also some Peperomia verticillata in this pot.)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

xGraptoveria 'Fred Ives'...

Original Author
    6 years ago

Crazy aerial roots on Philodendron erubescens vine.

They were attaching to the bench DH made out of a discarded bed frame.

After I pulled them loose:

The leaves of the plant doing this.

This Syngonium (arrowhead) vine has gone feral, making nothing but roots and petioles.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Philodendron 'Micans' has been doing everything it can to own an old ladder...

5/5/17, plants placed.

6/16/17, roots have attached in various places.

I trimmed cuttings several times between then and the pics below, 7/30/17.

Attached to a brick.

The mark that was left on the brick when removed.

Stuck in several places to adjacent ceramic pot.

A mark left when removed.

Attached.

Mark left.

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

I wanted to post some photos of some of my Philo lacerum but the aerial roots don't show up well. Some of the plants are up in the tree tops with roots hanging down 6 to 8 metres. But when you stand back far enough to fit them in the photo frame the roots get lost in the background vegetation.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked tropicbreezent
  • tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

I worked out how to do it. When the light was low late afternoon I took the photo with flash. I've done similar before. The background is too dark and the foreground (aerial roots) are lit up and stand out. The first isn't a particularly good photo but gets them in. They're from a Philo. lacerum. The philo grows up the tree trunk and at the right height it seems to settle in and develop into more of a 'clump' which then drops down the roots, in this case about 6 to 8 metre long roots. The climbing stems have few if any leaves and the roots tend to circle the tree trunk more than grow down it.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked tropicbreezent
  • tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    6 years ago

Cool pictures

Original Author
    6 years ago

That IS cool, seeing what some of our potted, captive plants would do if they could...!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!