Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aerial roots

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 14:28

Thought it might be fun to share pics of aerial roots on different plants. Heart-leaf Philo:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aerial roots

Here are some that have gotten or are about to get to the soil.

o

I'm pretty sure that's what the really long stringy things are on this Easter cactus.

o

Thought I had a bunch more but I guess that's the kind of thing you can't find when you're looking. Most of the plants are all smushed/cramped together while inside too...

If you can get to them, let's see what aerial roots your plants are making!

Pothos:

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 17:59

Related - see pictures @ Wiki link ......

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus banyan - ONE tree

o

Adding in these few photos of aerial roots from my place. Took the photos today

Arachnis species orchid
gw n 121228 02

A Vanda orchid, in the rehabilitation area of my shade house.
gw n 121228 06

Hoya australis ssp rupicola
gw n 121228 08

Purple Tradescantia
gw n 121228 10

Pandanus basedowi, these develop the most amazing masses of aerial roots.
gw n 121228 09

Philodendron lacerum, the aerial roots are a bit difficult to see clearly, long thin and over 8 metres in length.
gw n 121228 03

Pandanus dubius
gw n 121228 07

An interesting one, Socratea exorrhiza, also known as "Walking Palm". The trunk is never in soil so the plant is always standing on its roots. If it doesn't like where it is it puts out more roots where it wants to go and the roots on the other side shrivel. The plant then moves over the new roots. That's why I've got it enclosed, to stop it getting away, LOL.
gw n 121228 05

Ficus species. These started as aerial roots but found a tree to hang on to.
gw n 121228 04

This Ficus just likes to wander all over the place.
gw n 121228 01

o

That's wild, Al. Don't remember if it was your link or some further reading I did but learned that they built a road around it but the tree is encroaching beyond it.

Tropic, as always, blown away by your pics! The walking palm was especially fascinating and it occurred to me it would be a good first plant for people who aren't sure if they would do well with house plants. If it's not happy, it will just leave, so they would know if they should get more plants...

o

Many members of the Crassulaceae have aerial (adventitious) roots to beat the band. Such a profusion as these indicated in advance trouble below the roots.

Photobucket

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 12:17

o

Cool!

It looks like a tip of this Thanksgiving cactus got damaged and is responding by seeking new ground via aerial roots.

o

TC feels like making a bunch of aerial roots seemingly suddenly, certainly not just the one above.

o

This heart-leaf Philo has never put out roots like this before, 90% of this has happened in the past month.

o

Like said above, a Crassula with roots. My C. ovata is telling me it wants out of the 8in/20cm pot it lives in. About a 3 inch trunk diameter. It wants out.

Some type of Rhipsalis. Actually this is the clump of plants that includes at least 3 or 4 distinct species. Roots are in the center of the pic.

I think this one is Selenicereus innesi.

This is Ech. 'Pulvioliver'. It ran out of dirt about 2 years ago. Selenicereus on right in background.

Hylocereus undatus in middle foreground, Monstera delicioso in foreground and also in back. The monstera actually has much of the room draped in roots. The plant crawls along the ceiling and the roots dangle down. DW has them tied in bundles, she doesn't want to cut them. About every 2 or 3 years I get sick of it and clear the air of aerial roots.

Another view of Monstera roots.

Rhipsalis mesembryanthemoides. I temporarily set the pot with some orchids a few years back. Haven't gotten around to wrenching them out yet. My original cutting came from a Renaissance woman from MN.

o

Here's some that you might find a 'bit different'.

This one is so huge it's intimidating. The aerial roots emerge near the bottom. Pandanus brosimos.

o

On a much smaller scale, Pandanus basedowi.

o

Ficus sp. (I think F. virens)

o

Another Ficus, the tree is leaning so the aerial roots are descending from the trunk like a curtain, hence its name "Curtain Figtree".

o

I love these trees, Rhizophora stylosa.

o

Hi
Here is a pic of a strap vanda but note on the right the terete vands roots have actually grown over the flower !!lol How's that for speed?? There is a mix in that container of terete vanda , epiphytic cactus as well as a nepenthes. gary

o

Found an awesome well-established Monstera cutting today! Indeterminate number of shoots with aerial roots attached to a board support on the 3 biggest ones. I was impressed and had to have it.

Stem one:

Stem 2:

Whole plant:

o

Been meaning to do that with mine,Purp...sometimes I put things off. :/

Been growing this cutting in a terrarium and have been meaning to add it back in with the mama plant.

Aerials run down the glass(pried it off for the pic)and eventually get trained into the pot.

o

These are so small compared to some of the other amazing roots.
This is my Phalanopsis Orchid I rescued from the garbage. One mans trash is another womans treasure...
Christine

o

Difficult to imagine that as being "trash", Christine. Looks great.

o

Thanks tropic, I was lucky to find it before it was put into the dumpster.

o

Yeah!!

o

No doubt!

Good catch indeed!
Way to run interference! :)

Here's some aerials on a dieffenbachia that spends it's time in a terrarium. I put it back in place after staging it for a quick pic.

o

Shot from the top...

o

one more look.

o

Please forgive the terrible pic but I had to say something about this.
My (valentine?) aglaonema is throwing an aerial or two as well! =D

o

Excellent pics, and cool roots! Going to start a fund to get you a squeegee for Christmas! Seriously, spell check knows squeegee? Epiphyte and Aroid freaks it out, but it's ready for squeegee.

This little guy is chillin' in the vines and aerial roots.

o

Some of my aglaonema seedlings are doing a "just above ground" rooting thing too.
Gonna have to snap some pics soon.

Gah!
I have to worry about getting plants in and YOU still have anoles running around on your porch! NOT FAIR! lol

BTW,I don't imagine you know anything about gender recognition in anoles,do ya? I'm pretty sure that mine is a female but it could be an immature male(sounds redundant doesn't it?). Her dewlap is not as pronounced(yet?),she's got the whitish line down her spine and altho I'm not too sure I buy into this last piece of info from the www,..her eyelids sometimes change color independently from the rest of her body. If she's female she likely could be fertile. Did you know that after mating only once she can fertilize herself for the rest of the season from that one pairing? While kept with the other poor souls awaiting adoption,she's very likely had at least one boyfriend so it's possible that she's already laid eggs in the terrarium...IF she's a she! LOL

So squeegee is on my xmas list and it's not even samhain yet? Shucks!
....yeah....spellcheck doesn't know "anole" either.

o

Hoya wayetii shot out these aerial roots after being bagged under lights for just 9 days. The roots are even bigger now a few days later.

o

Philodendron Prince of Orange sends out an aerial root above each leaf from the same space the leaves come out of. Looks very cool. I stick some of the roots into the mix.

o

Alocasia Poly roots flirting with air.

o

Hi Greentoe!

How's the prince of orange doing since the training of the roots? Any new growth? Would love to see more pics of it if you could manage it. :)

As mentioned a bit ago...the aerials I'm getting on my aggie seedlings begged for photos so I snapped a couple...

o

Another...

o

And another...

o

And one more should do it! :)

Edited for a better pic.

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 17:15

o

>> How's the prince of orange doing since the training of the roots? Any new growth?

I have not noticed increase in the pace of new growth attributable to my sticking the roots into the ground, but it's been sending out new salmon-colored leaves constantly, one at a time, albeit slowly. I just recently set it on top of a lamp for some extra daytime warmth - I'll see what that leads to.

>> Would love to see more pics of it if you could manage it. :)

Glad to oblige! This reminds me - I wanted to post a thread about something weird with my philodendron. Here it is, including a fresh picture: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0921315230078.html.

o

Somehow I missed this thread.
Monstera;

This post was edited by dellis326 on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 23:02

o

Philodendron;

o

Nice stuff!

Here's a syngonium doing it now. Recognize this little guy Purp?

How do ya like the new kickstand?

o

Excellent additions!!

Good stuff about the anoles, BTW, TY. Kickstand - LOL! Cute.

Here's some on Callisia repens.

o

A different Philo (from heart-leaf)

Heart-leaf Philo root attached to oak stick.

More heart-leaf Philo root attached to oak stick.

Tradescantia zebrina root response to being stuck in a hole in the side of a hanging basket:

Scindapsus and Pothos shoots together. The thin one on top is the Scindapsus. When I put my finger there to see if that little root in the middle was attached, it came loose but there was slight resistance first. So, I guess I disturbed it while trying to attach.

Pothos (Epipremnum) roots definitely attached, and after only a couple weeks. This vine was dangling over the side before then.

The Monstera roots are growing faster than the leaves. I wonder if this board is treated with something, but I wouldn't even know what.

"Cloud" of Tradescantia zebrina roots, looking up under the hanging foliage.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

o

You DO know that your different phil is an erubescens,right? Believe it's the exact same cultivar that I have in combo with other phils(you were the inspiration behind that btw). If not then I just thought I'd mention it.

Cool to see the scindapsus grabbing ahold. In time we shall see once and for all what this beastie will do once allowed to climb(as you recall the net was sparse for such an image).

A ficus elastica decora (rubber tree)cutting that I took months ago seems as ready to probe the air as any other ficus when placed in a terrarium.

o

Here's a slightly closer look.

o
meanwhile on the other side of the same tank...

Here's a peek at the micans(if we can even call it by that name anymore).

o

And a close up...

o

Here are roots on Homalomena Em Gem, Bryophyllum fedtschenkoi, Rhipsalis cassutha, and some crassula. I have a Prince of Orange with aerial roots as well.

o

Okay...so these pics aren't the best in the world but hopefully you will be able to see what's going on here...an aerial is turning back in on the plant. I intend to leave it be,..unless there's a problem here that I'm not aware of. I've never seen this kind of behavior before so right about now I'm pretty clueless.

What do you guys think?

o

Not that it will help but here's a closer(not so great)shot...

o

Oh well...

Thanks anyway you guys. :)

o

In the last pic, I can't tell what's going on well. Almost looks like a new leaf above the root.

o

Well actually that (if we're looking at the same thing)leaf you're looking at is the older one (the pinkest from older photos around here somewhere). There is the beginning of a new leaf further up and out of the shot,but as this ag is somehow a bit more stubborn to budge when compared to some of the others I'm being patient with it and not expecting any miracles anytime soon...that leaf has been taunting me for months now and is definitely running on it's own schedule. So the part that's hard to figure even with the naked eye is which side of the root is emerging and which side is where the point has turned back around and begun to bury itself back into itself...but I think it's coming out from the righthand side and digging into the covering of the union of petiole and stem on the left side of the photo. Kinda confusing to say the least.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here