Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hawaiian Pikaki

Posted by suewhogh z5 vt (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 27, 08 at 14:31

Hello, I have a hawaiian pikaki (jasminum Sambac) plant.
All of the leaves are dropping off. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hawaiian Pikaki

We can't tell you what you are doing wrong if we don't know what you are doing. Maybe if you could give us a little more information, someone could help. How long did you have it before the trouble started? Where do you have it located in your home? How much light does it get? Is it near a window? How warm/cool is the room? How often and how much do you water? Do your fertilize?

All of this could be helpful in finding out what is wrong and how to correct it.

o

Hi Karen,
I water plant like it said three times a week. It doesn't sit in water. Let dry out between watering. Its in a west window where it gets plenty of light. temp is around 70 in my house. It was doing good for the first month and went down hill from there. All the leaves are turning brown and falling off. I fertilize with miracle grown sticks.
Any hints.

o

I don't have much experience with Jasmines, but two things jumped out at me. First watering three times a week seems excessive, even for a plant that needs a lot of moisture. I can think of two possibilities: 1) The plant is in a very small pot or extremely fast draining soil and really is drying out excessively between waterings or 2) It is only drying out on the surface, and the soil is actually soggy underneath, and root rot is occurring. Both excessive dryness and root rot will lead to defoliation of a plant. In either case I'd unpot the plant and examine the roots.

My other thought is that the fertilizer sticks could be the problem. The concentration of fertilizer salts right next to the roots can damage them.

o

I had a huge one that essentially died completely. I dug it up, split the bulbs and replanted in new soil and put it in the "ICU" wing of my greenhouse. It had semi-direct sunlight and daily misting, and was usually in wet soil. It did great! I now have about 30+ plants all growing in different pots and all coming up strong. I think the plant hates cool weather and needs lots of water, but in conjunction with lots of Sun. It seems to eb and flow like Ginger (i.e. comes back full strength if you give it warm wet conditions). Remember, this is from Hawaii, so try your best to recreate that (moist and strong sun).

o

Remember, this is from Hawaii ...

Actually it isn't. It hails from Asia, India, Indonesia, and the Philippines

o

With anything that is expected to flower, it is best to give it as much light as possible. I agree with Karen, you're probably watering too much in conjunction to it's not getting enough light. Move it to a southern exposure or even outside in the shade for the summer and see if that doesn't help it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here