Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frugalfanny

Photo Update!

FrugalFanny
10 years ago

Hi everybody! It was actually sunny today, which had the plants looking awesome, so I had to get some photos to share with all of you. I want those of you who have done trades with me to see how happy the plants you gave me are!

Please feel free to share yours too, trades or not. It's always nice to see the green in the middle of winter:)

And Happy Holidays!

Comments (9)

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This begonia has been blooming non-stop for months, and growing like a weed!

This post was edited by FrugalFanny on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 15:27

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The "Drunkards Dream" (Hatiora salicornioides) is putting on lots of buds! I got this as a teeny cutting years ago, and it bloomed for the first time last winter.

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got this as a tiny cutting last winter or spring, and it had just one flower this year! There was a second bud, but it didn't mature. You can see a little hint of pink on the tips of the lower petals. This is a named variety, but of course the tag was with the parent plant and my memory is failing me. Any guesses from the holiday cacti crowd? In bright light, the leaves are a deep plum purple.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

F.F.,
    Do you know what type Stapelia you got. (first picture). Also how's the Finger Jade growing. Your Gold Hahnii is doing great. No pups on this one but I do have extras. What makes yours different is the more yellow in the leaves. And still got your Euphorbia latea crest and Agave multi-color waiting for spring.
    Stush

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Awesome, FF! Are the flowers double on your Begonia? TC's, Kalanchoes, & Begs are my fav plants for winter.

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Stush-I don't know what type of Stapelia it is. It was traded to me by another generous gardenweb member as simply a "starfish cactus". I hope it will bloom so I can have another clue as to its ID. The Finger Jade is doing well with my sister. She said it was doing poorly for awhile, but she switched the soil and now it's much better.

Thanks for showing the golden hahnii-they tend to be more likely to pup, at leas for me, in the warmer months. I hope yours will reproduce for you soon! Mine seem to be quite prolific, so I hope yours will be as well!

Purple-No, my begonia has single blooms. The color varies widely depending on what light is on it: from pale pink like in the photo to a deeper, candycane-type pink.

Yes, most of my Kalanchoes are blooming or in bud right now! They're so bright against the snow outside the window:)

10 years ago

Interesting about that cute Begonia! The foliage looks so much like one that I have with double flowers. That's one of the best looking Stapelias I've seen, BTW, forgot to say so before.

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Purple:) I guess I should have said that as far as I know, it's got single blooms. Do you have a photo of yours you could post so I can compare? I tried googling double bloom begonias, and some did look like mine...

And thanks for the compliment on the Stapelia-I can't take much credit for that one since all I did was put it in some chunky orchid bark and place it in an Eastern-facing window (and sometimes it's in a Southern-facing one). It doesn't live with me right now, so I water it when I go home and otherwise it thrives on whatever water it's lucky enough to be given. It has new growths regularly. I'm half-hoping the current ones are actually buds (they're too small to tell), and half hoping it waits until summer when it can go outside so it won't stink up the house!

10 years ago

I put a pic of the Begonia with double-flowers on "January blooms" discussion today, that shows more foliage, but the flowers aren't 'finishing' with the sun being MIA for weeks again. Pic below of what the flowers should look like.

My Stapelias have made some blooms, once there were 2 open at the same time, but the kind I have isn't strongly scented enough to bother anyone. Foliage looks just like yours, flowers were red. Gynura is much more offensive. (Like, if I have one in the house with buds again, I'll cut them off, like folks said I would want to last winter when it happened.) Hopefully your Stapelia will be as un-stinky. I'm sure some do smell really bad, and more strongly so, plants don't get a reputation like that for no reason.