Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry and Cream Rubber Ruby Rubber Tree Plant

Posted by pinkgnome412 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 14:44

Hi there! So I'm considering getting a rubber tree plant for my living room. I've recently acquired an abundance of space in my house; my roommates bought their own house and got married! So naturally I'm filling the void with plants.

Anyway, I've been researching rubber tree plants and I came across this gorgeous version called a Strawberry and Cream Ruby Rubber Tree Plant. The weird part is it only seems to be available through Hirt's on Amazon. I Googled it several times and NO ONE else discusses or sells this plant. It also doesn't help that all the reviews are disappointed in the actual size of the plant they receive. Is this fishy?? Here's the link if you'd like to see it for yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/Strawberry-Cream-Ruby-Rubber-Plant/dp/B003OFLQYW

Does anyone here have one? What do you think? Should I take a chance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry and Cream Rubber Ruby Rubber Tree Plant

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 15:20

Try pasting the searchwords Ficus elastica decora ruby to your search engine and see if that's your plant. You could also call the seller and ask for the exact binomial name + variation of the plant (genus + species + cultivar). It could be that the seller is simply calling the plant something it isn't (scientifically) as an enticement because it sounds yummy.

Al

o

I believe Ficus elastica tricolor is similar if not the same, green & white w/ pink highlights (which I've seen at Big Box Stores).

Am guessing you'll need a fair amount of light to maintain the pink highlights.

o

Thank you guys! Pirate_girl, you were right, that is pretty much the same thing. I Googled several different variations of "ficus elastica decora ruby." A ton of information comes up if you just look up "ficus ruby." There are several other nurseries that carry this plant, they just don't call it "strawberry and cream." That Hirt's Gardens must be making a killing.

o

I have a very similar looking (possibly the same?) plant sold by the name of "Sylvie".
Another name I have seen for a variegated ficus elastica is "Tineke".

My experience is that it's a pretty easy plant to keep.
Southern exposure will help it keep the pink coloration (though the leaves will burn if you suddenly increase the light exposure so you might want to slowly let it adjust to more sun).
If you are the type who likes to put your houseplants outdoors during the summer, it will LOVE that. Mine grew like gangbusters from the warmth, sun, and humidity outside. I only stopped taking it outside because I was worried it might have pest problems if I did that.

o

You were all right!! I'm so excited, I went to Walmart last night and FOUND 5 or 6 of these plants in a dark cold reduced price corner filled with succulents and cacti that have surprisingly survived through the torture. The tag says it's a ficus elastica "robusta teneke." But it looks exactly like the "strawberry and cream" plant online. For being in a cold dark corner with no water or light it actually doesn't look too bad. I think I can save it!!

Oh, and the other little guy in the picture was my other impulse item - a peperomia clusiifolia I think. I couldn't resist. =)

o

Congrats on 2 great finds, I have both of them and your going to be so happy with them and they do look good considering they were on a back corner of W... I've saved some great plants from there and you cant beat the $ for a rescue :<)
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here