Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a name to search for, Dracena like with bulbous stem

Posted by albert_135 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 18, 10 at 14:54

I saw a picture of an unidentified plant in a book at a thrift shop.

It looked a bit like a Dracena with a bulbous stem at the soil level. In the photo it appeared the leaves might be coming from the bulbous part of the stem.

If someone can supply me with names to look for I can do an image search with Google or Bing and find a name.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a name to search for, Dracena like with bulbous s

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 18, 10 at 15:28

Sounds like it might be Beaucarnea recurvata (ponytail palm).

Al

o

Thanks. The pictures from Google look like what I saw in the book.

Several sites say grow from seed. How long does it take to get from a seed to a 6-8 inch pot sized plant?

How big will it eventually get, all things going well?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 19, 10 at 15:21

They're not too expensive if you want to buy one from a big box store or over the net (if the weather allows a net purchase).

How fast they grow depends not only on the plant's genetic vigor, but on the cultural conditions you provide. That plant in FL or SoCal, e.g., might grow >5 times faster than one here in MI, all else being equal. How large they grow depends on whether you consider 'large' in terms of ht or o/a mass. They do get massive, if treated favorably. Do a google image search to get an idea of the size you might eventually expect if you're good to it. ;o)

Pot size is a function of plant mass and soil choice. If you use a very fast soil, and I suggest you do, you should be unlimited in your upper choice of pot size. A very large pot and a very fast soil also has the potential to yield the fastest growth.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here