Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_355114

Be a plant P.I. (very long post)

Be a Plant P.I.size>color>

I have been intimately involved in many forms of container gardening and in other plant-related pastimes for more years than I usually care to admit. Fortunately, as the years mount I have also grown increasingly proficient at being able to maintain increasing levels of vitality in the plants I tend, and at helping others do the same. As you might expect, I attribute a large part of that to both my continuing studies and accumulation of practical experience, but I also feel the systematic way I deal with plants that are showing symptoms of stress or steady decline is one that you might find to be of value. When I initially share the framework, it is entirely possible you may think it too simplistic, but after I flesh it out a little, I hope you will discover you have been left with another way of looking at plants that becomes as useful a tool to you as I have found it to be.

Sick plants are stressed plants. Stress is a condition that can be caused by interference in the plants ability to manage or allocate energy in the manner it normally would, or by the plant operating at or near its genetically programmed limits. Stress is reversible, but if unchecked will lead to strain, a much more serious condition. Strain causes injury and is not a reversible condition.

You may notice in this and other writings, my regular use of the term ÂvitalityÂ. It is actually a plantÂs vitality that we can hold sway over, not its vigor. ÂVigor is constant. Mother Nature provides every plant its own, predetermined level of vigor by building it into each plant. Vigor is the genetic potential every plant is encoded with, and its measure is the plant's ability to resist stress and strain. Vitality, in contrast, is variable - a dynamic condition that is the measure of a plant's ability to cope with the hand it's dealt, culturally speaking. A good way to look at the difference between vigor and vitality is to look to genetics for the level of vigor and to things cultural for the plantÂs vitality. It's up to us to provide the cultural conditions that will ensure our plants' vitality. Vigor and vitality are distinctly different, and a good case could be made that they are unrelated, but there is no need to delve deeper into that point. A plant can be very vigorous and still be dying because of poor vitality. Far more often than not the term 'vigor' or 'vigorous' is misapplied, where in their stead the terms 'vital' or 'vitality' would have been more appropriate. Poor vitality is what we witness when our plants are growing under stress or strain and in decline.

I would like to take a moment to express my appreciation to the late Dr. Alex Shigo for his works, which have helped distill my understanding of stress, as opposed to strain, and vitality as opposed to vigor.

When you first realize you have a containerized plant that is struggling, itÂs important to determine the cause. You should also realize that it is very unusual for plants in decline to reverse course without your intervention - without you acting to correct the cause(s) responsible for the condition.

You will remember my mentioning in the introductory paragraph that you might think my approach to determining the underlying causes of various plant problems AND the solution too simplistic? Let me give you an example of WHY I said that:

If you came to me and with a sick plant and began to tell me about it, the conversation COULD go something like this.

"Al, I have a sick plant, and ÂÂÂÂÂ" (I might interrupt here - sorry for the interruption)

"ItÂs the soil"

"Huh?"

"ItÂs the soil Â"

And I would be right about 90% of the time. I could increase the accuracy of my diagnosis at least another 5% if I listen to the rest of what you had to say, but the message I want to bring to you is that >90% of the problems I see in other peoples containerized plants are caused directly by the growerÂs choice of soil, or can be traced indirectly to that choice.

What I am about to offer for your consideration is the idea that if we can eliminate light issues as the source of decline in our containerized plants, the odds overwhelmingly favor the soil we chose, as the direct source of the problem, or, as the indirect source because of other negative effects come into being as a result of the decline in vitality and decreased resistance caused by a poor soil. If there is any serious argument to be mounted against this writing, it should focus on the premise contained within this paragraph.

Because IÂm stating the odds favor your plantÂs reduction in vitality as being caused by a poor soil, I should list one important condition and some other possible causes of stress or decline not soil-related so you can systematically eliminate the possible causes other than those soil-related before we move forward.

If your plant is in steady decline, itÂs important to first eliminate the possibility that the decline is being caused by chronic insufficient light levels. The most obvious symptoms are long internodes and weak stems. The obvious corrective measure is to move the plant to a position where it receives greater photo-intensity, longer photo-exposure, or both. I donÂt consider abscising (shedding) leaves to necessarily be a symptom of steady decline, as this condition can be caused by a sudden cultural changes, but it certainly can be soil related.

Being extremely root-bound is an issue quasi-related to soils but not an issue directly related to the quality of the soil. It will appear later in a list as something to be considered as causal of stress and decline, and something to be remedied. As the second step in our process of elimination, we need to be able to discount tight roots as a source of decline.

Nutritional deficiencies or toxicities need to be eliminated as possible sources of decline. Over-fertilizing is a logical source of toxicities and soluble salts levels, but IÂm going to make the case that an appropriate soil and a considered nutritional supplementation program should virtually eliminate nutritional issues, which again brings us full circle to soil choice as a major player in toxicity issues and a distinctly possible player in deficiency issues. I make mention of the fact that soil conditions can induce nutrient deficiencies even when adequate levels of certain nutrients are present in the soils because poor soils impair root function and metabolism, making nutrients unavailable, even when present.

You also need to eliminate chronic over-watering as possibly causal of steady decline, though we shall see in a moment that over-watering is most often directly related to soil choice.

When there are symptoms of insects or disease, they need to be identified and treated appropriately with the least noxious remedy that will reduce their populations to acceptable levels; and diseases with the least noxious remedy that will get the job done. Insect and disease identification are beyond the scope of this writing, but a case will be made that your soil choice is extremely important in reducing or eliminating the incidence of diseases and infestations.

Let us take a moment to consider the cultural effects of growing in a poor soil as opposed to a good soil. While soils can be considered Âpoor for a variety of reasons, like not holding enough water, or containing phytotoxic (poison to plants) ingredients, most of soils we consider ÂpoorÂ, are those so water-retentive they support varying amounts of perched water. Perched water is the water that occupies the lower reaches of the container and will not drain by the force of gravity alone. Roots deprived of oxygen begin to die very quickly, and the roots first affected are the workhorses - the very finest roots that absorb water and the nutrients dissolved in water. These roots have to go through a process of regeneration, which is expensive to the plant in terms of energy outlay. The cycle of death and regeneration that occurs every time we water heavy (water-retentive) soils saps the plantÂs stored energy reserves, which the plant would have allocated to blooms, fruit, or an increase in the plantÂs overall mass. In other words, this stresses the plant. Most commercially prepared peat-based soils are actually very water-retentive, fresh out of the bag, and grow increasingly water-retentive over time as soil particles break down into smaller size. Particle size is the factor that determines the soils degree of excess water retention

When using poor, water-retentive soils, we automatically find ourselves on the horns of a dilemma. On one side, if we water appropriately so at least 10-15% of the total volume of water applied escapes through the drain hole and flows away from the soil, carrying accumulating soluble salts with it, we run the risk of soils remaining saturated so long that roots begin to rot, a major source of soil-related decline. The other horn of the dilemma is the net effect of the decision to water in sips to avoid the saturated conditions that promote root rot. The habit of watering in sips allows no water to escape through the drain hole, so ALL the salts from both fertilizer solutions and the soluble salts in our tap water accumulate in the soil. The net effect of this accumulation of salts is to make it increasingly difficult for plants to absorb water, and, the nutrients dissolved in that water. When soluble salt levels in the soil solution get high enough, they can actually pull water OUT of plant cells via the very same process by which curing salt pulls water from the cells of ham and bacon. Osmosis is the diffusion of water through cells semi-permeable membrane, and the process by which plant cells absorb water. When salt levels get too high, a process you might think of as reverse osmosis occurs. The process actually has a technical name - plasmolysis - but we commonly refer to it simply as fertilizer burn. Here, high levels of salts Âpulls water from plant cells, tearing plasma from cell walls and killing the cells and the tissue formed by cells, thus the term ÂplasmolysisÂ. This is an extremely significant and very common cause of severe stress and decline in houseplants and other long term plantings being grown in poor soils - especially during the winter months. The effects are generally found to be most adverse in houseplants and other long term container plantings where the condition is more likely to reach chronic levels with time.

We can see that poor soils induce stress and cause decline on multiple fronts by impairing root function and metabolism, which in turn significantly affects growth rates, development, appearance, yields and bloom profusion, to mention a few. Unseen is its effect on the plantÂs ability to fend off insects and diseases.

Plants mount a number of genetically encoded responses to the wounding of insects or the chemical signals released by disease, ALL of which require energy allocation. In plant cells, there are genes that control proteins functioning in actual defense, sending defense signals/ chemical messengers, altering metabolism, controlling cellular maintenance, regulating photosynthesis, - and many more genes of unknown function. In short, plant energy reallocation is prioritized in the plant's own defense, while other things, like every day metabolism and photosynthesis are put on the back burner. The higher the plantÂs level of energy (the greater it's vitality) and the faster its metabolism - the faster the response and greater the amount of energy and defensive bio-compounds the plant can mobilize and devote to its own defense.

When wounding occurs (insect attack) there is a "wound response" that occurs both at the site of injury as well as distally (in other plant parts away from the wound). Plants can even differentiate between the wounds of a pin and those of insects, and they react in different fashion to the "attack". Without getting more technical, the plant produces various anti-feedants, anti-metabolites, and toxins that make the insects feel rather unwelcome - as long as the plant is in good vitality or has high energy reserves - in other words, as long as the plant is in good health. The speed with which the response occurs, and the effectiveness of the defense response are also both energy driven, so it should be no surprise that plants grown indoors under stress are highly susceptible to a variety of insect marauders and various diseases.

If you want to keep the bugs away - it goes without saying that your first line of defense should not be to reach for a systemic or other harsh poison, but to keep your plants growing with as much vitality as possible as a preventive measure, which is a cultural - not a chemical thing. It is important to remember that most of the problems we find in houseplants involving disease and insect attacks can usually be linked to the reduced vitality and lower metabolism rates resultant of soil-related issues.

In summary

I think I have built an excellent case around poor soils as the major player and source of an extremely high percentage of the stress issues we encounter with our houseplants. IÂll enumerate the steps I take when I evaluate someoneÂs container plant and what remedial action I usually take.

1) Determine the problem is not light related.

2) Determine the plants are not exposed to excessive heat or cold.

3) Determine the plant is not excessively root-bound. If so, correct at the appropriate time. Plants should be repotted as soon as possible after the root mass has become cohesive (sticks together w/o crumbling) when the plant is lifted from the pot. Allowing it to remain root-bound once it has reached this point affects growth potential. Allowing a plant to become severely root-bound will permanently affect growth, no matter how large a container you bump it up to later - unless you actually correct the root-bound condition by pruning roots, which will restore the plants ability to grow as close as possible to its genetic potential within the limits of other cultural conditions. (Thanks in part to Dr. Carl Whitcomb for some of the information on root-bound conditions.)

4) Determine if there is an insect infestation. If so, identify the pest and treat with the least noxious treatment that will bring populations to an acceptable level. Keep in mind that it is likely the infestation likely occurred because of compromised defenses due to stress. Suspect a soil related problem and low vitality as the underlying cause.

5) Determine if there is a disease issue. If so, identify and treat using the same guidelines offered for insect infestations. Suspect a soil-related problem as the underlying cause.

6) Determine if there appear to be a nutritional issue - either a deficiency or toxicity. This is probably the most difficult challenge a Plant P.I. faces because nutritional issues can be difficult to identify and treat. Poor soils can compound the problem and hamper treatment. I will say that not only are individual deficiencies difficult to diagnose and treat without sophisticated testing or unless you have good diagnostic skills, but trying to add singular elements to correct deficiencies can lead to unforeseen problems like antagonistic deficiencies and actually cause more problems than they remedy. A sound and regular nutritional supplementation program that supplies all the essential elements in a favorable NPK ratio AND in a ratio to each other that is favorable is best.

7) Determine humidity levels are appropriate. Keep in mind that most problems blamed on low humidity actually originate in the problem of high soluble salt levels in the soil. We already learned that these high salt levels inhibit water uptake. Low humidity levels are usually only a secondary cause of necrotic leaf tips and margins. Suspect equally, water-retentive soils that impair the plants ability to move water to distal parts, and, individually or in combination with water-retentive soils, a high level of soluble salts as the actual cause. Only then, look to low humidity simply as a contributor to the problem.

When poor soils are directly or indirectly responsible for any one of a number of reasons for stress and decline, it is not unreasonable to suspect that treating the symptoms might be of some help for the short term, but as a long term fix will more likely be shown to be an exercise in futility. The most logical course of action is to treat the symptoms as soon as discovered to minimize their affect and slow the decline as much as possible, then replace the soil with something more suitable as soon as timing is appropriate.

I hope I have effectively illustrated the benefits of growing in soils that are durable and that promise to retain their structure, thus ensuring appropriate aeration and drainage for the expected duration of the planting, or for the interval between full repots (as opposed to simply potting-up). Virtually every issue raised, with the exception of the effects of too little light, can be directly or indirectly associated with soil choice, while none of the issues can be said to be even close to commonly associated with high quality, durable soils that remain well-aerated.

Learning how to determine what a quality soil is and how to use it effectively, or how to make a quality soil from what is commonly available, is a (if not the) key factor in determining your effort:reward quotient and how successful you will ultimately become as a container gardener.

Al

Comments (24)

• terpguy
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very informative post al, thank you.

Bu I'm gonna disagree greatly here. I would contend it all comes down to water, not soil. I am on my phone so can't elaborate much at the moment. The truth is plants can grow in *almost* anything we put them in (when was the last time you saw lettuce in situ growing aeroponically?). It all come down to how well you are able to control watering. Most soluble salt damage arises with a combination of over fertilizing and underwatering (in cases where leaching is possbile to do). It's not specifically the soil that is the causal agent, it's hpw dry you let it get for the soils type it has. Being a learned man, you also know that water stress is even connected to pest infestations. Can't blame the soil on that.

Briefly and respectfully submitted,
    Chris

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

And I would submit that the soil mix - the medium - is what allows for that superior water control.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Fantastic information!!!! Thankyou!@!@!@!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WATER is what it is. It's a constant - H20. We cannot blame the act of over-fertilizing on water, nor can we blame under-watering or over-watering on water. We cannot even blame the accumulation of soluble salts in the soil solution on water. In conventional plantings, the focus of what I offered, the positive and negative effects of the plant:water relationship hinges overwhelmingly on the medium.

Al

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks Al...Great information!! Appreciate you taking the time to post it :o)

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Ir's not the water, it's the waterig technique and watering properly for the conditions and culture you give. I never contended that water fixes overfertilizing. Let me be clear: overfertilizing (or simply hard water) in conjunction with running plants too dry is the overwhelming cause of salt damage. Adjusting watering technique so the plant doesn't stay so dry mitigates a majority of the issue. Salts concentrate in the little amount of water that is left in the medium when it dries out, and the plant takes up that salt laden water. Increasing water frequency dilutes the salts so they aren't so harmful.

Take phalaenopsis. Many nurseries and hobbiests use some form of coir or medium of a more soil like consistency. Newbies are frequently coming to the orchid forum wondering why their plant is dying,/rotting/stunted/infested. Can't exactly blame the medium, many other people use it just fine. Fact is they aren't watering it properly. It might be easier and more convenient to change the medium, but ts not the mediums fault. It's the inability to properly water. You've cited the issues with the miracle gro moisture control here. That's not a problem with the mix, I use it just fine and so do others. it's inability to water properly with it.

Again, plants can grow in any potting medium we can offer, if the conditions and watering are right. This is where we differ. I'm not saying soil isn't an issue unto itself, lord knows it creates it's own set of issues. But the mix is only the problem when any and all cultural elements are otherwise being met. It's NOT the problem if the problem can be fixed by fixing another aspect of culture. It'll help, of course! But the overwhelming cause of declining plants indoors is Improper watering and inadequate lighting (and since I'm an interior landscaper I feel very qualified to say that) IMHE, you make too big a leap in overlooking everything else by blaming the medium.

Then again, are we even talking about the same thing? When I hear containerized plantings I'm thinking big floral displays in the garden...

14 years ago

And I still contest that some container mixes simply can't be watered properly.

As Al has said, one could grow a plant in glass shards or marbles....
    if the grower wanted to stand over the container with a watering bucket in hand.

One couldn't grow a plant in pudding, however.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

"That's not a problem with the mix, I use it just fine and so do others. it's inability to water properly with it."

What explains why the plant I bought that I havn't transplanted yet into a better draining mix, can stay wet for almost two weeks in full sun? It is in MG potting soil, and I am afraid it has knats and the roots are not getting adequate oxygen..I have not watered once since I have had it more than 2 weeks ago.
    To me, from observance, it is the medium and not the water, since I havn't let a drop touch this plant for this long. I am afraid it will not survive, as the ones I had in that stuff in the past..

The medium "does" make a difference here in my growing region. I need a soiless mix that is going to dry out more frequently, and allow me to give fresh water more than once a week, or once a month..

I have yet to meet one person I know that can grow in heavy soils, or bagged potting mixes without killing their plants in less than 6months without consequences of compacted soil and suffocated roots...Does this makes sense? That is why can grow mine better than a nursery can for an extended period of time, keeping a plant in the same pot for a lot longer than they do, unless it is rootbound.

What happens if you have a medium that likes to stay on the wet side for days after one watering, and your plants are outdoors getting rained on almost everyday? I have seen many rot...

What about the perched water table in each pot "most" people know nothing of from poor mediums..?

You might be able to get away with a medium that likes to stay wet, maybe in a place like "Arizona", I don't know...

Sorry for my inquiries...

I tend to believe that "water relationship hinges overwhelmingly on the medium", based on proof and experience...:-)

14 years ago

Here's another thing to ponder...

When I give friends and family members a tour of my yard and garden, they always want to "blame" my plants' health on everything but the soil mix! "Oh, it must be the sun!" "Oh, it must be the shade from the oak trees!" "Oh, it must be your containers!" They'll even attribute my plants' health to superstition - the ol' green magic touch - before they'll begin looking at the soil, or consider changing out the bagged muck mix in their own pots.

And why is that? I think it is for fear of being Judged...
    If they admit that my plants are healthy due to care and cultural practices....then they must also admit the possibility that their plants are unhealthy due to (lack of) care and (poor) cultural practices...and, to them, that means work.

In gardening as in school, I find it takes work to fail. Getting a "C" is easy....but failing a class, or outright killing a plant, takes real effort. With all of that energy being spent regardless, why not re-direct some of it for good?

Josh

Original Author
    14 years ago

Terpguy - You try to separate proper watering technique and the physical properties of the soil when they are inextricably correlated.

This contains the crux of your argument, but it is circuitous and illogical: "It might be easier and more convenient to change the medium, but ts not the mediums fault. It's the inability to properly water. You've cited the issues with the miracle gro moisture control here. That's not a problem with the mix, I use it just fine and so do others. it's inability to water properly with it."

You clearly suggest that it is the inability to water properly - but it is the medium that determines whether or not you CAN water properly. Your statements are self-contradictory. If you read what I wrote carefully, you'll see this issue was given consideration when I talked about deciding whether to water a heavy soil properly and risk root rot or to water in sips and suffer the consequences of escalating TDS and EC levels.

You offer "Again, plants can grow in any potting medium we can offer, if the conditions and watering are right."

This may be true for varying periods, and if you do everything correctly, and take remedial action (like flushing the soil) ..... and on and on. The message is - 'WHY grow in a soil that has multiple inherent problems and fraught with difficulties?' How many readers are interested in what they CAN coax plants to grow in and would choose to grow in a soil that offers an extremely narrow margin for error?

You offer "But the overwhelming cause of declining plants indoors is Improper watering and inadequate lighting (and since I'm an interior landscaper I feel very qualified to say that) IMHE, you make too big a leap in overlooking everything else by blaming the medium."

I agree with the observation about light, and I was clear about that in my offering. There is no illogical leap made in levying the primary responsibility for irrigation problems squarely at the feet of media. That is elementary soil science. To suggest there IS a leap when I make that connection and expand on it illustrates a lack of understanding of the relationship of water movement and retention in various media to the media itself and to the relative issues that arise, or a wish to argue.

In short, it's impossible to logically discuss water relationships in conventional container plantings without the media being the primary focus and determining factor in how those relationships play out.

Al

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

They say that improper watering is responsible for more plant deaths than any other one thing... but how can you properly water a medium that doesn't behave as it should?

A good medium drains quickly and well, allows for the exchange of oxygen and gases to and from the roots, is well aerated, and does not compact or decompose to the point of suffocation.

When you can provide your container plants with a soil that is more conducive to healthy roots, it's extremely difficult to water improperly.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

"Then again, are we even talking about the same thing? When I hear containerized plantings I'm thinking big floral displays in the garden"

Another inquery if I may?

Would you plant a plant that requires open soil or sand such as a cactus in a soil that stays wet for long amounts of time?

Or ferns in sand?

I think the "medium" plays are larger role than proper watering?

Just curious.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Still curious???

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Al starts it, and his followers end it...

Funny how it always ends up...

Thanks anyway Chris..
    I am no longer curious after waiting this long for any answers and unaswered posts..

:-)

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Meyermike writes 'What explains why the plant I bought that I havn't transplanted yet into a better draining mix, can stay wet for almost two weeks in full sun? It is in MG potting soil, and I am afraid it has knats and the roots are not getting adequate oxygen..I have not watered once since I have had it more than 2 weeks ago.
    To me, from observance, it is the medium and not the water, since I havn't let a drop touch this plant for this long. I am afraid it will not survive, as the ones I had in that stuff in the past.. "

Very good observation, Mike. What you describe would make me look at other variables. If I had, what you describe I would take a look at the roots. Odds are, there aren't any. How big a pot? Why would the mix stay wet for two weeks in full sun. Doesn't make sense unless you have a 30 gallon pot. Take a peek at the roots without causing damage. My first guess would be that the plant had been overwatered and the roots had rotted...no roots, nothing to take up water. That is not the fault of the mix rather the fault of whoever was tending the plant. The next thing I would assume was the plant was underlit before you got it. Without sufficient light, there is no growth. The plant weakens and slowly dies. Again, nothing to take up water.
    Now you have a plant which was overwatered and underlit. The mix is the least of its problems. I probably would not repot as I would not want to add stress to the plant unless it was a soggy mess. I would increase light and air-circulation and try to let it dry out. If there were little or no roots, I would repot into a smaller pot with good drainage (mix of your choice) and concentrate on light, warmth and air and only water when almost dry. If the plant has a chance, it will come around.

Us old time gardeners have grown in soil and bagged mixes forever. We have learned what to look for and what to change. It comes with experience. There is no magic bullet.

Jane

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

Oooooooo. The earth is rumbling now.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Thankyou for your suggestions Jane..

Much appreciated..:-)

Pat, are you posting from Haiti? Those poor souls..

Mike..:-)

Original Author
    14 years ago

Those reading this thread grow plants in media that range from sticky, extremely water retentive, and low in oxygen when they are saturated, to media that remain friable (uncompacted), highly oxygenated, and hold NO perched water when they are completely saturated.

We cannot simply blame poor plant performance on watering habits, as I illustrated upthread. Neither, can we consider plant/water relationships without considering the media. When we blame poor plant performance on over-watering, what are we saying? On one hand, we might be saying that we are applying too much water to the soil, but is that really accurate? I don't think so. I think it's much more accurate to say the soil is holding too much water. Doesn't this then, shift the responsibility for root rot issues and poor plant performance to the media instead of the hand controlling the water can?

The argument might be raised that all you need to do is water less - problem solved .....right? Not so fast. What happens when we water less, in small sips? Salts accumulate in soils from the fertilizers we apply and, as this happens, plants have increasing difficulty absorbing water and the nutrients dissolved in water from the soil. This is stress, and it assuredly affects the plants vitality and diminishes potential growth.

Yes, you are able to work around this issue of accumulating salts by eliminating them from the soil with thorough flushing - frequently, but that is a time consuming process and several extra steps. Since the reason you need to flush the soil is because it is too water retentive in the first place, flushing it places the plant at risk for root rot - unless you take still additional steps to make sure that doesn't occur - like depotting the plant and placing it on newspaper over night so the water saturating the soil can be wicked into the newspaper and evaporate.

So it sounds good to say it's a watering issue, and not a soil issue, but we can clearly see that it is not a watering issue.

Lets look at the other end of the soil range for a moment. Consider a soil with particles that are large enough that the soil holds no water between soil pores. The descriptive terminology would be that it 'holds no perched water'. You can water this soil every hour of every day, yet it holds no water between it's particles. It does. however, hold plenty of water INSIDE the particles - water plants can easily access as they need it. As the plants access this water, their roots are totally surrounded by plenty of air - even immediately after you water to saturation. Even if you water again 10 minutes later, all the water drains from the pores between particles and air returns to the entire volume of soil.

How do we need to treat plants in the heavy soil? We need to water them carefully, because if we over-water the soil remains saturated, anaerobic (airless) conditions prevail, and root function/metabolism suffers, the plant is stressed and grows with reduced vitality. While, and because we are watering in small amounts to prevent soil saturation, salts are accumulating and additionally stressing plants. This occurs in every planting you cannot water properly because the medium is too water-retentive.

How do we treat plants in the porous soil? We water them until about 10-15% of the water we applied comes out the drain and move on to the next plant - no worries - repeat in a few days.

From what I offered, it's easy to see that soils and watering are inextricably related, and that it is actually the SOIL that dictates how you are able to water.

Roots die when subjected to saturated (anaerobic) conditions. They don't all die at the same time; they die incrementally with the finest of roots - the workhorses - dieing first, larger roots following finer roots as the length of exposure to anaerobic conditions increases. This process begins quickly, even if you can't see it, within hours of watering, and doesn't stop until the water in the soil is used up and air returns to the soil. At that point, the lost roots begin to regenerate. This is very stressful, and extremely expensive to the plant in terms of energy outlay. The energy the plant must put into root regeneration would have went to blooms, fruit, more leaves, branch extension, or an increase in biomass. It simply is bad for the growth process.

These problems are entirely eliminated in soils at the other end of the spectrum, so 'no', we cannot so easily say that it is over-watering that causes these issues when in fact, they are directly related to soil choice.

Heavy (water-retentive) soils are convenient and readily available everywhere, and there are the strategies I touched on to help you cope with the difficulties encountered when using them, but the price of convenience, as you see, is often measured in plant vitality.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Thank you Al for such accurate info..I knew that! lol

You are so appreciated and I always learn something valuable by you..:-)

Mike..:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Thankyou Garden Webb for what you did. Don't think it didn't go unnoticed..:-)

Your's truly

Mike

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Mike,

Regarding the above, I'm going to go to "Contact Us" & put my thank you there, so they can't miss it.

(PG) Karen

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Oops, my bad..Thanks Pg
    I can always count on you to correct me..

Take care..:-)

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

Thanks Al, glad your back.
    Stacey in Cold Canada.....brrrrrr

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Stacy. Nice to BE back. ;o) As long as I'm saying thank you, I shouldn't leave out Mike or Karen, either. Thanks to both. ;o)

Al