Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please, please help me win new plants! & current ones' photos :)

Posted by artgrad none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 18, 11 at 15:13

*Already posted in the C/S forum, but posting here too with different photos!*

So I'm a long, long time lurker brought out of the woodwork by a facebook contest whose prize is $500 of free plants/plant accessories from a local nursery here in Baton Rouge. Because the prize is awesome but my entry is somewhat lackluster (it's a contest for Christmas lights, and I currently live in an apartment so I can't compete with independent houses) I need the power of the plant community to help me win. Please, please plant community! I promise I'm the most plant-geeky of all the entrants!
Since I haven't built up any social capital yet, I figured I'd go ahead and try to do so now, below, with some photos of my current collection and some daydreams about what I would do with that kind of money!

THE CONTEST LINK: http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/contests/176837/voteable_entries/39694244

The entry that's mine is the one titled, "My first self-hung Christmas lights!" Voting ends December 22nd, and apparently you can vote once a day until then!

First, I'd buy a Pachypodium, and any currently unowned Aloes, Haworthias, Gasterias, and hybrids of those three. Then any unowned Gymnocalyciums, a Rhipsalis, and perhaps a Senecio rowleyanus and an Alocasia of some sort. I would also beg for them to bring in a Zamia furfuracea. I've wanted one of those for a while, but they don't have any in stock. Then I would buy one of those outrageously expensive red Aglaonemas. I've been unable to justify their price thus far. I'd then pause in my plant-buying to upgrade pots of currently owned plants. And upgrade their soil, too. Some of my plants are in clear plastic cups with the tops cut off and holes poked in the bottom. (This actually works fine for a while, but after a year or so, especially when exposed to the elements, the cup gets really brittle and starts to shatter when handled.)

Any leftover money would go toward experimental plants - orchids I'm unfamiliar with, etc., and plant gifts to friends and students.

Thanks for your help! If I do win, I promise photo updates of what you helped me buy!

On to the photos:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please, please help me win new plants! & current ones' photos

What a great assortment of plants and it looks like you have bright sunny windows--I have very little sun plus this New England weather--cloudy & cold can't wait for Spring--I hope you win the contest--I am not into Face Book --not even sure how it works-so I can't help u there--perhaps others will
Good luck
Mari

o

artgrad,
If I was the only one in a contest I would still loose. I do hope you won. If not be happy with what you got. Looks good to me. And the generous people on this site may give you a start of a plant you might want. Just remember to have fun with all you do.
Stush

o

Art, did you win?

You have some really nice succulents. True beautys.

I have a Facebook account, but haven't been there over a year, and must confess, don't know how to use it. lol

What type of help do/did you need? I read and reread your thread, but don't understand..Toni

o

Art, did you win?

You have some really nice succulents. True beautys.

I have a Facebook account, but haven't been there over a year, and must confess, don't know how to use it. lol

What type of help do/did you need? I read and reread your thread, but don't understand..Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here