Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artgrad

Please, please help me win new plants! & current ones' photos :)

artgrad
12 years ago

*Already posted in the C/S forum, but posting here too with different photos!*

So I'm a long, long time lurker brought out of the woodwork by a facebook contest whose prize is $500 of free plants/plant accessories from a local nursery here in Baton Rouge. Because the prize is awesome but my entry is somewhat lackluster (it's a contest for Christmas lights, and I currently live in an apartment so I can't compete with independent houses) I need the power of the plant community to help me win. Please, please plant community! I promise I'm the most plant-geeky of all the entrants!

Since I haven't built up any social capital yet, I figured I'd go ahead and try to do so now, below, with some photos of my current collection and some daydreams about what I would do with that kind of money!

THE CONTEST LINK: http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/contests/176837/voteable_entries/39694244

The entry that's mine is the one titled, "My first self-hung Christmas lights!" Voting ends December 22nd, and apparently you can vote once a day until then!

First, I'd buy a Pachypodium, and any currently unowned Aloes, Haworthias, Gasterias, and hybrids of those three. Then any unowned Gymnocalyciums, a Rhipsalis, and perhaps a Senecio rowleyanus and an Alocasia of some sort. I would also beg for them to bring in a Zamia furfuracea. I've wanted one of those for a while, but they don't have any in stock. Then I would buy one of those outrageously expensive red Aglaonemas. I've been unable to justify their price thus far. I'd then pause in my plant-buying to upgrade pots of currently owned plants. And upgrade their soil, too. Some of my plants are in clear plastic cups with the tops cut off and holes poked in the bottom. (This actually works fine for a while, but after a year or so, especially when exposed to the elements, the cup gets really brittle and starts to shatter when handled.)

Any leftover money would go toward experimental plants - orchids I'm unfamiliar with, etc., and plant gifts to friends and students.

Thanks for your help! If I do win, I promise photo updates of what you helped me buy!

On to the photos:

{{gwi:116273}}

{{gwi:116274}}

{{gwi:116275}}

{{gwi:116276}}

{{gwi:116277}}

{{gwi:116278}}

{{gwi:116279}}

{{gwi:116280}}

{{gwi:116281}}

{{gwi:116282}}

{{gwi:116283}}