Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamwhatiam52

Anthurium in on rock in water.

iamwhatiam52
10 years ago

This anthurium thrived for two and a half years on the rock in the dish of water, flowering nicely and growing slowly. It is in bright but indirect light, has never been fed. Now, in the last few months it is loosing leaves and part of the base is dying.

How can I restore it to health?

If it can do well on a rock in water, how high should the water be?

Should I feed it?

Comments (6)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

There is no soil to supply nutrients, and no organic fraction to break down and supply nutrients, other than roots that might rot or plant parts that are sloughed off and rot in the water. That means you have to be completely responsible for supplying all the nutrients essential for normal growth. If you don't supply all these nutrients, the plant won't grow. Keep in mind that growth = an increase in the plant's mass, so if one leaf dies and another appears, that really doesn't represent growth. The plant is stealing nutrients from older tissues and using them to support new growth, making growth relatively stagnant.

I cant see the rock well, and I don't know if it's porous, so it absorbs water. Assuming it is, I'd probably try to keep the water level about halfway up the rock. I'd use a fertilizer like Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 that has all the essential nutrients in a favorable ratio. I would probably use about 6 drops in 16 oz of water. As an alternate to the FP, I'd check with a hydroponics shop and ask them for a single fertilizer that is water soluble and has ALL the essential nutrients in a 3:1:2 ratio. I'd change the water weekly to prevent fouling and excessive algae growth.

That will turn your plant around, if you're up for it.

Al

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I wonder how much of an issue tap water chemicals might be for this plant, assuming tap water is what has been used?

The stippling on the leaves makes me wonder if it could have spider mites, or some other pest. Mine looked like that this summer and although I couldn't see any pests (which means very little, I wear bifocals and seeing stuff isn't what I do best,) I wiped the leaves with a cotton ball damp with rubbing alcohol, top and bottom, and its' appearance has improved.

Are you opposed to giving your plant a 'normal' pot of soil?

10 years ago

I actually meant to mention that distilled water, water from a reverse osmosis filter system or dehumidifier, rain water, or snowmelt at room temp would be best if indeed Iam wants to continue growing in water, so good catch!

Al

• iamwhatiam52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help.

Tapla your explanation makes sense and is much more helpful than a simple set of instructions.

What about light? Will it be OK with no direct light?

The rock is very porous so it should wick up the water even if it is only half wet. This plant is staying in the water because my girl likes the way it looks.

I will use rainwater and get some fertilizer as you suggest.

10 years ago

I know I talk too much, but whenever I write something, I'm not only thinking of the OP (original poster), I'm also thinking about anyone who might read in addition to the OP. Information rules. There's no faster route to a green thumb than by learning all you can and then using your practical experience to validate what you learned. You'll see what I mean when your plant perks up. ;-)

It will be ok with no direct light, which means no direct sun rays, but it won't be ok with anything other than bright light unless you're willing to accept a somewhat anemic appearance and leggy growth, which might eventually include a 'flopped over' plant.

It's especially important that you use a fertilizer that has all the essential nutrients in it for aquaculture, so please keep that in mind. For instance, popular soluble Miracle-Gro and many other popular fertilizers (Schultz, e.g.) lack the macronutrients calcium and magnesium, as well as other essential micronutrients. Your plant won't prosper without all the essential nutrients - there's no getting around that fact. I wouldn't reemphasize if it wasn't important.

{{gwi:23206}}

Al

• iamwhatiam52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My plants thank you.