Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

Seeking Low Light Tropical looking foliage plants

edlincoln
9 years ago

My Mom traditionally buy tropical looking foliage plants for the living room. That doesn't get much light and they all die. She just replaces them.

What easy to grow plants are there that tolerate low light and look vaguely tropical?

Comments (6)

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

Maybe try a ZZ plant or Zamioculcas zamiifolia. Super easy, low light, low water, but looks like a palm. Almost indestructible.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

I can testify to the ZZ plant. Mine gets little light. And looks beautiful. In fact Has put up a new shoot.
    also Chinese Evergreen is fine in low light and easy care. I don't know if it looks tropical or not, but it has attractive foliage inmo.
    Be careful not to over-water both of these.
    Both are easy to care for.

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

Personally, I do not think ZZ is easy... They are prone to root rot. Mine died. They will tolerate low light but I think they do prefer more sun - which I think is common for most plants that tolerate low light.

I have a heart leaf philadrondon, close to a north facing window, that is doing really well. This fall, and so far this winter, we have had very few sunny days so it is getting very little light. Despite this, it is still making new leaves. It is strange actually.

Another plant that does well in low light is of course the peace lily. It is very pretty. And what is cool about the peace lily is that it tells you when it needs water. Its leaves start to droop and then you know you can water it. This is very handy because it is easy to over-water plants.

Both the heart leaf philadrondon and peace lily, will burn and die if they get direct sun, so they make good low light options. You should try several different plants and see who makes it. But make sure you know how to water the plants properly, low light means less water. It is easy to over-water, in fact, this may be what killed your mom's other plants.

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the help!

Philodendrons are one of the plants Mom usually uses. They last for a while and then die.

Peace lilies are a good idea...I know my Mom likes calla lilies and Easter lilies.

I'll have to see where i can find a ZZ Tops plant...

The location is right in front of a South facing window...but the window no longer opens into the outside, but into a sumroom/greenhouse thing. There are also decorative gauze curtains in front of it. It's also right next to a forced air heating vent.

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

I wonder if your mom's philadrondons die from root rot rather than lack of sun. They do not need to be watered a lot. Next time a plant dies, check the roots. If it has root rot you will know it was probably overwatered.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

edlincoln,
    I got my ZZ plant at Lowe's. I water it every 10 days to 2 weeks. I wipe the leaves, this will let more light in. My plants are also next to a forced air duct. ARG! Wish I had another place, but that is where the window is. So I mist often to increase humidity. I also have everything on pebble trays, and when I see how quickly the water evaporates from the trays, I can see how dry the air is. I'm thinking of getting a humidifier.
    below is link to the "virtually indestructible" ZZ plant, and a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: zz plant