Houzz Logo Print

Comments (8)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Toni,

Why not try the Orchid Forum???

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I just tried to cut & paste it just to look & it says 'listing removed'.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karen. I thought about the orchid forum, but someone said it was slow...

I should have been more specific when I started this thread..

The orchid came bare root..I was wondering if it should sit in water for a few hours or potted right away?
    The roots look like they were grown in a plug. It's very dry.

Because I don't know its type, I don't know which soil it'd do best in and how much water.

I Googled the name seller listed. Dwarf Orchid Rainbow.

She's relisted the items..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dwarf-Orchid-Rainbow-Variegated-Purple-Leaf-Nice-Plant-1-Pot-/180959224439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item2a2202a277

Is the link in the correct space? Optional Link URL.

Thanks, Karen.

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Orchid question

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

I'm not sure it's a Orchid at all. and the Orchid forum is far from slow! Ask there! Lots of great people there, me included.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Toni,

I think that may well be an Orchid, tho' never saw a variegated one (not an Orchid person, so that doesn't mean much). I think those are pseudo-bulbs & that really is a Orchid.

Irrespective of slow or not (pls. try to have some patience), you'll likely get CORRECT info,. from the Orchid Forum, instead of these invented names from Thai growers who apparently know NOTHING at all about botanical names & their convention.

Why not just pop it loosely in some bark mix & water lightly 'til you hear further?

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tommy, lol. Okay, you and Karen talked me into it.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    i would guess a hybrid type of "cane dendrobium" orchid.
    There are over 30,000 species of orchids as well as at least 40.000 hybrids. Always a tough call?? lol gary

• eahamel
    11 years ago

It looks like a dendrobium to me, but I've never seen a variegated den. There are some variegated miniature cymbidiums that are found in Japan and they're very expensive.

But this is a den, and I'm sure it's been cloned, which would bring the price way down since they can make thousands with one cloning.

You've probably taken care of it by now, but I'd soak it in water for a while. The roots that are alive will be greenish, and dead ones will be brown. Cut the brown ones off. They will rot can can cause healthy roots to rot. You can plant it in bark or sphagnum or an inorganic mix similar to Al's gritty mix. Don't fertilize for a few weeks, it needs to be growing, and this is the dormant season for it.

Was there any info about blooming? It may not bloom for a couple of years since it's a young plant. If it does well, you can eventually put it into an orchid basket that's called a vanda basket. But I'd wait until spring to do that.

Scroll down the page that I've linked to see the wooden slatted baskets. I saw some on amazon that had a ridiculous price, this website has them at the price I usually see them at. You can grow a lot of hanging basket plants in them, as long as they don't mind having the sides open. Orchids like them because their roots are aerial and will grow through the slats.

I've been growing orchids for about 30 years and this is something I can help with, though I don't consider myself to be an expert.

Here is a link that might be useful: orchid baskets