Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leena1947

Song of India

leena1947
16 years ago

I bought a beautiful Song of India from a garden shop last May. It's losing a lot of its leaves. I have several house plants, some of them I have had for 15-25 years and looking beautiful. I had it a warm room and watered it moderately. Yesterday I moved it to a west facing window, a cooler place. What is the secret to keeping it's leaves, please?

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• tjsangel
    16 years ago

It really could be a number of things. when you say you water moderately, how often? And do you let the water flow through the bottom of the pot? Could be over or underwatering. Usuallly west windows are pretty warm w/afternoon sun. It could also be an insect problem. search for spider mites, mealies (white cotton bugs) etc. the plant maybe wants to be repotted. Good luck!

Jen

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

We're running into the same problem with the few of these we've got at work, too (as well as our Dizygotheca elegantissimas, Dracaena marginatas, Ficus elasticas, and a number of other plants). I think it's just that the plant has slowed down in response to the shorter days and cooler temperatures, but we haven't caught up yet mentally, on the watering, so we're keeping them too wet.

I don't know that there's necessarily a secret: some leaf drop from time to time is probably unavoidable. They're not supposed to be the most easy-going of plants, either. I have never tried to grow one at home personally, but my general impression is that at the top of the list of key growing conditions are warmth and humidity.

• leena1947
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the advice. I read yesterday that you have to mist them daily. It also said they like to be in low to moderate light. I am going to leave it by the window for the winter, mist it daily and water when the hydrometer starts getting close to the 'dry' section. It is shooting up new leaves on the top; I just don't like the idea of it losing all the lower leaves!
    Leena

• killyrtv_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

I had mine on a stair landing with a natural light bulb on it. It lost most of its leaves over the course of a few months, and I gave up on it, stopped watering and putting the light on it about a month ago. I pulled all the dead leaves off today, and noticed a new shoot sprouting up next to each of the old stalks! I guess I overwatered it, or maybe it just went dormant and is coming back.

• plantmasterm
    15 years ago

Is it possible for you to put it outside for the summer..I had one and it did beautifully when I placed it outside during the summer months..however my plant got morning and evening sun and set in water all summer long so alot of times everything is trial and error with house plants..mr subjunctive would you use some common names also when you're giving the name of the plants not all of us have degrees in botany or horticulture..I may have the plant that you're talking about but don't know it by it's proper name..thank you this would be so helpful for me

• stokesjl
    15 years ago

it might just be me, but my song of india seems to do great with a certain amount of neglect. i bout a small four incher at target about three years ago. i set it on a far corner shelf on my south-facing enclosed porch. to be honest, i'm guilty of highly underwatering irine (yes i name my plants....lol). i'll rememer to water her maybe once a month i think i've fertilized maybe twice in the last couple years. and she grows like a weed every spring. irene is now about 3 1/2 feet with four branches (offsets?) coming from the base.

• hennrylee
    15 years ago

I took a look at your site and recommend it to my visitors. I agree with you on the importance of becoming valuable in many different areas. I believe that it sustains any entrepreneur during challenges that inevitably occur.
    -----------------------------
    hennry

transmitter

Here is a link that might be useful: transmitter

• staneil1542_comcast_net
    13 years ago

i bought a pot at a local garden center.it had four shoots of song in it.i took it apart and planted in the earth on the outside of my home facing the hot west sun.after one year it developed maby more shoots,sone almost six feet tall!!! and straight up !!!the one that i potted and put in my atrium,became scraggly..