Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving an abandoned spider plant?

Posted by Tohkano New York (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 16:08

As I was moving out of my dorm room for winter break at college, I found a plant in the garbage! It looked like it still had healthy leaves, so I sort of... adopted the poor thing. As far as I can tell it's a spider plant. It's about 5 in. tall. Half of the plant looks beautiful, but the other half has leaves with brown splotches and the stem looks pretty brown as well. The dirt is horrible looking (although I certainly am no expert on dirt) and the top half of the plant is kind of slumped over to the side. I would upload photos but my computer is packed and my phone isn't working, but I'll try to upload some when I get home.
I's hate to see a beautiful plant like this go to waste, but I don't really know what to do for it. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving an abandoned spider plant?

Spider plants are tough cookies! Take a look at the roots, are they healthy and white, or brown and mushy? If they are white and firm, there is certainly hope! You can trim off the brown leaves, and if some of the roots don't look so good, you can trim them off too. Given time and some TLC, there is a good chance the plant will come around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here