Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Killing my ficus tree

Posted by GardenHelp PA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 16:30

I am in need of help. I have had this ficus tree for almost three years now. Every now and again it drops leaves like all plants do. In the past month it has started dropping more leaves than normal. I walked in this morning and half of the leaves are about to die. Any ideas, advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Killing my ficus tree

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 21:20

Over-watering and perhaps tight roots are the likely culprits, but just for fun, what are the temperature fluctuations where the plant is being kept? Can you provide a brief fertilizing history? How often? With what? What strength?

When you water, does excess water collect in the collection saucer and do you remove it immediately?

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More help if you need it.

o

Al: Over watering might be it and I was just thinking it needs to be re-potted. I was also thinking it may be fertilizers. It is in the 70's during the day and maybe drops ten degrees at night. I fertilized end of October I believe - this will teach me to keep better records. I used a tropical fertilizer. The majority of the plants in this greenhouse are tropical so maybe that combination is not the best for the ficus. I think it was around 1.5 cups that I used for the 24" container.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 14:32

1.5 cups of a granular slow release? Controlled release (like Osmocote)? What brand/NPK %s? Is any of the fertilizer accessible so you can still remove it?

I'd hold on the repotting until summer (Jun), unless you unpot and determine root rot is an issue, in which case it probably should be repotted - even though winter and early spring are poor times to repot Ficus.

60-70* is just a little cool for Ficus, but mine do reasonably well at 65-68* under lights.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here