Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cyclamen africanum

Posted by mateopava 8 El Paso, Tx (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 16:43

These will eventually go out on my balcony, and only come in with the threat of a freeze being that this species is frost sensitive. I should post on the balcony forum, but since this forum is more active, I thought I would post here first.
This is my first time growing Cyclamen from seed. They were slow to germinate, took 6 weeks from the sow date. They are now 2 weeks since first appearing above the soil line, and although they are growing taller, it is incredibly slow and still have yet to open their first leaf. Is this normal and I am just being impatient? I'm hoping someone here has experience with these and can give me some cultural advice.
I am currently growing them under grow lights in my office. It goes to about 60F at night, and to 70F during the day.
I have a unheated room at home with a bright southeast facing window, the temp in that room fluctuates between 50F and 55F, would it be better to grow them there?
Would it be better if I just put them on my patio and only bring them in if there is a frost risk?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cyclamen africanum

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 8:55

I can't specifically advise about africanum, but hardy cyclamen grow darn slowly.

o

i've sprouted florist cyclamen from seed. don't know how they compare in size/growth to africanum. they are quite large when mature, but the seedlings were tiny.
i kept them tented for a year in egg-carton 'propagator' in very shallow medium, since i was afraid to dry them up.
they grew ultra slow.
at one year with a few leaves the clump was not larger then a quarter. and out of a dozen plants only 2 survived the 2nd yr.
by 3rd yr they were the size of small african violet and they bloomed. after that they finally started putting on growth.
i never let them go dormant. i bring them indoors for winter and very hot summer months. i still have both plants - about 5yrs old by now and huge. tubers may be 5" in diameter.

o

The linked site suggests you could expect flowers 2 years after sowing. There may be people over on the Bulbs Forum who have grown this species from seed and can add further advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: C africanum

o

i CANT EVEN KEEP FLORIST CYCLAMEN ALIVE FOR LONG... cant even imagine growing C. africanum

o

Thank you all for the input and links. They seem to be getting closer to unfurling their first leaf, so I think I will keep doing as I have been and watch their progress.

Matt

o

You might be interested to browse this site. There is information on propagation there.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cyclamen Society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here