Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reider84

What kind of plant is this? Plant 3 of 3

reider84
10 years ago

I received this and 2 other free plants about a week ago. Can anyone help me to identify? Thanks! :)

Comments (3)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen). (Someone here will give you the specific variety.) Terrific houseplant...one of my favs! If it gets too tall, you can cut it down and root the cutting in plain water.

• reider84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • nancy_pnwzone8
    10 years ago

reider84,

i hadn't checked the boards over the holidays, so this is a bit of a late response... i hope that you check back this long after your question was posted.

njoasis is correct. your plant is an aglaonema. the variety name is "Silver Queen". it is a plant that was widely planted - some say over planted - in Dairy Queens, shopping malls, banks, etc. back in the 1970's, but now seems somewhat rare in the plant trade. it has been replaced with newer hybrids. the newer varieties are more tolerant to low temperatures and they branch and sprout more which means that the plant looks more full. older Silver Queens often look lanky or 'stalky' until they get cut back and the tops are rooted and replanted.

BUT, what i wrote above might only apply to the plant or stem in the front of the photo and the plant or stem on the left side of the photo...

i think that the plant or stem in the rear of the photo might be something special. if the leaves always look like they do in the photo, then i think that you have what is called a "sport" or genetic change. i'm guessing that one of your plants or stems has lost one of the genes that codes for the variegation pattern on the leaf. even regular Silver Queens will sometimes produce a leaf that looks a lot like this, but the rest of the leaves will be normal looking. but i've never seen a whole plant that looks like this. i should mention that i'm merely an amateur aglaonema enthusiast and am not an 'expert' or breeder. it's possible that your plant is another species or variety i'm unfamiliar with that was mistakenly potted up with two Silver Queens. if the plant is all one plant, and the darker green stem on the back is just that, a stem, then it is clearly a sport.

now... i know what you're thinking... Woo Hoo! goldmine! right?! :-P

well, probably not. as i said, Silver Queen was replaced for a reason. if these plants get even a shade colder than 60 degrees Fahrenheit, they suffer leaf damage. this makes them difficult to ship to stores for much of the year, and many people let their homes get fairly cool overnight in winter to save on energy costs. plus, the plant has the lanky/stalky problem.

if i had to guess, it might only be of interest to (1) You... because you may have a one-of-a-kind plant which is kinda neat. (2) an aglaonema or aroid nerd like myself. and (3) general house plant collectors that hear the word "unique" and are sucked in. in my case, i need another plant like i need another hole in my head :-)

even so, if later in the year, once the weather warms up, you'd be interested in trading a cutting of your plant... i have quite a few aglaonema varieties that i'd be willing to send in exchange. Silver Queen isn't the world's most amazing house plant - there are varieties with much prettier leaf and stalk colors and patterns - but i have a soft spot for it because it was one of the first plants that i learned to grow well.

if nothing else, congratulations.

cheers,

nancy

ps if you would like any more info about the history or care of your aglaonema(s), you can check out this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Success With Your Aglaonemas Indoors