Posted by khourshed none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 16:47

Untitled

This post was edited by khourshed on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 22:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i wish to buy them all , Pachira at IKEA

I love Pachira!
A vigorous plant with gigantic foliage, Pachira requires a lot of light and space! :-D
If anyone does purchase a Pachira, squeeze the base of each trunk to make sure that it is firm.
When home, poke a wooden kabob skewer or similar stick into the container, and use this to show
you when the lower layers of the mix have actually begun to dry. Carefully monitor the watering
this Winter, then re-pot into a suitable free-draining mix from late Spring to mid-Summer (generally) -
during the prime growing season, recovery after re-potting will be much faster.

This plant can also be propagated from single leaves, in addition to the thicker tip-cuttings.
If healthy leaves are knocked off a plant for some reason, just stick them into a cup of potting mix,
set them on a windowshill, and wait a few months to see if any roots develop.

Josh

o

Howdy.. Are you thinking about buying every Pachira, literally???
Or are you expression aloud?

If you're serious, I hope you have a LOT of room and sun.. lol.

If you don't mind muliples of duplicate plants, there's no problem, but if you care to experiement with other types, several Pachira's will take space where other varieties would otherwise be wintered.

Pachira's are handsome, so I understand your interest. I myself have two, 'braided & standard,' but they're kept on the small side by under-potting and little fertilizer.

So, are you serious about adopting the whole sha-bang?

Hey Josh...Toni

o

no i am not serious at all , it is expression to show how much i love this plant

the instruction which comes with those puppies is to feed them every 21 day

Already i have two of them and i feed them every 20 -25 day so far so good i feel sorry though cause the soil shrank in a funny way due to lake of water

o

"i feel sorry though cause the soil shrank in a funny way due to lake of water"

I believe that indicates a high peat content & will continue to happen. This is likely what we refer to as the mix becoming hardened off & difficult to re-wet. Changing to a mix without peat should improve this issue.

o

flickr does not show my photo right and i cannot edit my post so here is the photo one more time

Untitled

o

They might look cute now but you'll have to separate them otherwise they will girdle each other as they mature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here