Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aircad3

Plant IDs

aircad3
11 years ago

Hello,

I was recently gifted numerous plants and I am having trouble identifying a few of them. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Plant #1 (about 17 inches tall)

Comments (18)

• aircad3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plant #2:

• aircad3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plant #3:

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hello,

Can't tell from the 1st pic, a side view of the plant would help pls.

Sorry, can't think of the name of the 2nd one, on the tip of my tongue.

The Third is a Plectranthus, aka Creeping Charlie or Swedish Ivy.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I believe that #2 is Pilea microplylla.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Think # 1 might be a pachira aquaticum ,money plant. Thought it might be a schefflera but a bit pointed and slender, Would agree witht he other two. gary

• aircad3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for all of your help! Upon googling, the first one is definitely a schefflera. I do already own a money tree and while I can see the similarities of the leaves, the trunks are different.

Thanks again, now I know which to move to the shade. Happy New year!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Great gifts! Welcome to Gardenweb!

Does #3 have any kind of scent to the leaves. Just looks like it might... love the red stems! Always wanted one but this plant eludes me still.

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

1. is a Nephthytis..many call this a syngonium podophyllum but it's not, it is however in the family of arrowhead vines..this one is different because it starts out with the same form but when it matures it has 5 leaflets on 1 stem whereas the others at maturity are still arrowhead leaves, not that I'm a know it all but I've grown one of these for over 30 hrs.
    2. Pile microphylla also called artillery plant
    3. Plectranthus also called Swedish ivy

• aircad3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple,

Thanks for the welcome! I've gone from the owner of 3 plants to 14 seemingly overnight. I'm trying my best to learn how to be a better gardener.

Unfortunately my sniffer is out of order at the moment, but I hadn't noticed any scent from it before. I will try to find out for you when I can smell again.

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Swedish ivy was a very popular houseplant in the 70's. I can't remember seeing one in years!

• aircad3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that plant #1 produces deep purple flowers. Is that a trait of the schefflera?

While I was looking back through this post I was amazed how much bigger my plants have gotten just in 5 months!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

#1 is either a schleffera or pachira

10 years ago

Wonder if #1 is a passion vine?

• grrr4200
    10 years ago

I dont believe its a scheff or a pachira the leaf form is all wrong. See how some of the leaves are connected? which then makes me think its some sort of Arrow vine... Judging from the really juvenile leaves, however... some of those leaves are severly lobed as well, which usually only happens when the leaves mature. So its quite possible it could be, but possible it may not be.

would it be possible to get a side view on this plant? maybe a view of new growth coming out of it? is it a woodier stem or more vine like? Either way, im chomping at the bit to see more pictures!

10 years ago

I'm curious too, a shot of the whole plant from the side might help, maybe a shot of how the plant emerges from the soil.

Aircad, GW is setup to accept one picture per post, so feel free to make a couple posts if you'd like to add more than one new picture.

The Syngonium suggestion is interesting, grrr... after looking at the lowest leaves again, I think you may be onto something there.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Howdy and Welcome.

Plant #3 is Plectranthus.

Hey Purple! Wow..What a beaut! Toni

10 years ago

Toni, that was one of the first things we saw on our last trip to NOLA. Unfortunately I didn't clarify with the photographer (DH, so he's not fired, if you know what I mean) to take a shot of the base also.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purple, ah, I see....

Wonder if Hedera would grow up our Maple Tree..I dislike the maple, but birds, squirels etc like it..plus, dh refuses to chop it down..

But, the Syngonium is adorable..Wonder if it blooms?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH