Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting in clear containers

Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 11, 11 at 16:50

I some cuttings from a Wandering Jew in the bottom half of a 2 liter soda bottle. I cut the top off and then use it as a dome. My question is: Is it OK to grow the cuttings in the clear container or will that affect the roots as they spread out and reach the edges of the container where they are exposed to the sunlight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cuttings in clear containers

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 11, 11 at 16:56

Sorry, the plants are not Wandering Jew but Purple Heart...I dont think that really matters however.

o
RE: Cutting in clear containers

It might but it isn't Likely to make any difference. If you keep it growing in a jar of water for a long time, most likely you'll just get algea growing on the roots and jar which also probably won't make a difference to the plant.

If you're just rooting it and then plan to transfer it to soil then it won't be there long enough for sun hitting the roots to ever be a problem other then too much heat but these plants would do best in indirect lighting anyways.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here