Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

Thanksgiving Cactus - needs help :(

Lamora
11 years ago

Hi Everyone. I hope someone can come up with some ideas for me. (I also put this in the C.S. forum too)

The TC I aquired a bit over a month ago, has 2 plants in it, both are cuttings with a large amount of stem. One stem is larger than the other one and has NO ROOTS! It is like a stick with segments. I do not know how long this woman had this TC, but it is looking real sad, very soft and droopy and I just don't know what to do for it. It was like this when I got it, so I repotted it, after it gave me just ONE flower, gave it new soil, (that is when I seen the bare stick) and it has been getting worse.
The other one seems to be doing ok, still no new growth or flowers, but it seems to be healthier than the other one.

My DH wants to take it out (the one with no roots) and stick it in a jar of water, see if it will root some. At this point I am ready to try it, and at this point, I don't think it could hurt it.

Here is what it looks like now.. very sad looking
{{gwi:116658}}
This is the larger side, the other side looks somewhat better..
any ideas on what I can do to help it? Please??
Marjie

Comments (6)

• cahac
    11 years ago

Marjie.
    I wouldn't put it in just water.
    If you have some Perlite or Vermiculite put it in a glass of that and just keep it damp. When the roots start forming they will be stronger than in plain water. and mist it everyday.
    Cliff

• cahac
    11 years ago

Marjie.
    I wouldn't put it in just water.
    If you have some Perlite or Vermiculite put it in a glass of that and just keep it damp. When the roots start forming they will be stronger than in plain water. and mist it everyday.
    Cliff

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I answered you on the other thread Lamora. Generally (& by request of GW) we try not to double post (post the same thing at multiple locations).

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Lamora. I am not sure of where else you asked this question, but I hope it was at the cactus forum...That is where the experts on this plant are.

Karen, Josh and others have been very keen on giving wonderful advice and have helped me with mine there.

Now I can help a bit..:-)

Why did you pot them together? I would of potted them in alone in seperate pots.

They are not as bad as you think they are, unless the roots are rotted and you have yet to look at them. I have a feeling your mix is not compatable with a VERY healthy and hydrated plant.
    Is it exposed to very cold temps too?

I find that when mine shrivel a bit like that, they are starving for water by either not being able to take up water because of poor root function, usually due to my errors.
    Causes could be a very heavy mix that stays wet too long, or very cold temps along with this type of soil too.
    They love very airy and porous mixes.

Not sure what your plant is trying to tell you, but I have a deep feeling it's coming from the roots in a bad mix.

Does the mix look porous? If it's lousy, the I would watch for root rot.
    If it is NOT porous, I would do something about that and then leave them ro recover.

Constant tickering around with it will only hold back its recovery.

This is a plant that one must not fuss with. It is one that you simply provide a good porous mix from water more often as than you think, as long as the mix is porous, give it good light, and leave alone:-)

Mike

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all, the reason I double posted, and I forgot that GW did not appove,, sorry about that, is because a lot of times when I post on one forum, I don't get as many responces as I do here. That's all, again, I apoligize for the double posting.

Pirate~ thanks, will check on the other forum. :)

Mike, they were in the same pot when I got them, very heavy wet soil. And it was starting to smell moldy. I put them in a new pot with the 5-1-1 mix. I don't have the gritty mix. The stem part is not rot, there are just no roots. Here is a pic of them together, see how the larger one has no roots?
    {{gwi:115714}}
    the other one has pretty good roots. I mainly want to know if somethng like this will root, and how should I go about it? or should I take what I can and toss the rest.. I really do not want to do the second option, would like to try to keep it.

Thanks again, and I will remember not to double post again.. :) Cacti and succulants for this from now on~~ :)
    Marjie

• goren
    11 years ago

I had very good results with just sticking them into some fresh potting soil and watering to drainage...dumping the excess, and letting them be.

I would say, from the above picture, the roots should be washed off, then cleaned up....and just stuck into the soil.
    Turn the pot every other day to ensure all parts get equal sun....which isn't of much intensity these days, but give them a south or western exposure.

The plants themselves, should be left alone---not turned and given a good sun if they have been in sun....or given a less than good sun, if that is where they matured.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company