Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who can identify this plant?

Posted by foreverfrida none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 17:00

This is a houseplant that I found on the front porch when I moved in. It's been kind of hanging in there for about 4 years now. About a month ago it started dropping its leaves. I realized it had horrible drainage and had been sitting in wet soil for ever, so I repotted it, and haven't watered it since because the bottom still seemed damp. I also moved it to an area with more direct light.

Then yesterday the smaller branch just kind of bent in half. The only green left is at the end of that branch.

Is there any way to save it? My thoughts so far were to:
-cut the branched down to where I can see green inside and hope new leaves grow
-cut off the part with the green leaves on it and try to root it somehow (in a jar of water?)

Any help appreciated!

(also I took two close up photos which I will post in replies to this since there is only one photo allowed per post).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who can identify this plant?

Photo number 2

o

Photo 3 (shows where it "bent" over)

o

Sorry, I believe this plant is dead or dying, once that branch folded, it's broken & can't be fixed.

A pic w/ more light so one can actually see this would help a lot.

It's likely going to be pretty near impossible to ID once you can that broken growth off, 'cause it'll just be 2 bare stems.

o

Hi
Looks like a Draceana marginata to me. It also looks like like its dying or dead to me also. IF you can find good stem cut it back and it might resprout. You might be able to root the bent over stem. Find good green flesh and try to root it. Im not sure how effective it will be, but worth a shot. You can probably find another one relatively east at a store also. They are nice plants--good vertical growth. Great for a corner or narrow space. Worth growing in my opinion!

Kyle

o

I agree that it's a Dracaena marginata....I'd put it out of its misery, if it were mine.

o

Thanks for the tips! I'll cut the bent stem and try to root it, and head out for a new plant next weekend. At least I know what it was now! Thanks again :)

o

Update: This cutting is what's left of my old Dracaena. I think I just needed to hear from others that it was time to let it go :)

Thanks again for all your help! I'll let you know if the cutting roots!

o

I am a canadian but down in Florida where I have gardened a number of years now

That plant I don't know the name of but if you have not thrown it out I am sure the plant will continue to grow for you maybe more so if you replanted it into new soil and another pot
As well keep the cuttinig going
I think rather than water it might be better in sand

Is what soil is like in Florida where I garden and I have rooted cuttings of this plant out in the garden just sticking them directly into the sandy soil

o

Poor little Dracaena! That top stem should come back tho.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here