Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlightbotanist

Philodendron Scandens new growth is redish

Starlight Botanist
10 years ago

This philo has done ok for us, but its always been in extremely low light, in peat/perlite in a plastic pot. It never grew much, put out maybe 3 or 4 new leaves in 6 months.

We repotted into 5-1-1, and put in a terra cotta pot with a small trellis. I have been watering with 1/4 tsp each Foliage pro and Pro-tek per gallon(same as all the other plants in the house) and also moved it to a north window(absolutely no direct sun, but much brighter than were it was before).

Since these changes it has tons and tons of new growth, the inter-node length went way down( old inter nodes were at 3.5 inches, new growth as inter nodes at about 1-1.5 inches)

Only thing that seems odd is the color of the leaves. I don't know how well you can tell from the picture, the new growth is lighter(that is expected, its new and its being grown in more light) but also red. I think you can see it better on the stem. But even the leaf veins are very very red. I will try and get a better picture of it later.

Only thing i know happened is i did let it get too dry right after repotting, that 5-1-1 dried a lot faster than i expected. Maybe its drought stress? Just wanted to be sure it wasn't a deficiency or anything.

With the plant putting on so much growth, i don't think its at all in any sort of peril, just that the reddish growth with reddish viens isn't very attractive and if it can be minimized or eliminated that would be good. :-)

Thanks!!

{{gwi:116679}}

Comments (4)