Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Philodendron Scandens new growth is redish

Posted by smishgibson 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 17:06

This philo has done ok for us, but its always been in extremely low light, in peat/perlite in a plastic pot. It never grew much, put out maybe 3 or 4 new leaves in 6 months.

We repotted into 5-1-1, and put in a terra cotta pot with a small trellis. I have been watering with 1/4 tsp each Foliage pro and Pro-tek per gallon(same as all the other plants in the house) and also moved it to a north window(absolutely no direct sun, but much brighter than were it was before).

Since these changes it has tons and tons of new growth, the inter-node length went way down( old inter nodes were at 3.5 inches, new growth as inter nodes at about 1-1.5 inches)

Only thing that seems odd is the color of the leaves. I don't know how well you can tell from the picture, the new growth is lighter(that is expected, its new and its being grown in more light) but also red. I think you can see it better on the stem. But even the leaf veins are very very red. I will try and get a better picture of it later.

Only thing i know happened is i did let it get too dry right after repotting, that 5-1-1 dried a lot faster than i expected. Maybe its drought stress? Just wanted to be sure it wasn't a deficiency or anything.

With the plant putting on so much growth, i don't think its at all in any sort of peril, just that the reddish growth with reddish viens isn't very attractive and if it can be minimized or eliminated that would be good. :-)

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Philodendron Scandens new growth is redish

"the reddish growth with reddish viens isn't very attractive" Uhoh. I hope you can talk your eyes into appreciating that. A sign of good health, vigorous new growth. As the new leaves age, they will adjust to the normal color.

If it wasn't doing that before, and you really don't like it, maybe move it back? "but its always been in extremely low light"

o

Wow, how timely and good to know. Mine's just started growing big red leaves too. It didn't look unhealthy, but I was just wondering lately...

o

That's for the reply purp. That's good news, I don't mind the first fews leaves on each stem being reddish, just didn't want it to be that way permanently. If they darken with age, that will be perfect.

Its probably just that before, the leaves would open so very slowly that they would be darkened before they were fully unfurled.

Glad its the look of vigerous growth. :-)

o

Cool! There may not be peace on Earth, but we have 'peace on Philos.' Some are VERY red, BTW.

Sometimes the red edges aren't as visible without strong light, or especially back-light. I notice most details like that when plants are outside. Good point about not being as noticeable when the growth is more slow. The chlorophyll would have more time to develop (if that's the correct phrasing?) as the leaves unfurl more slowly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here