Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's happening to my pineapple?

Posted by jdixiem none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 17:18

I planted a pineapple top about a year ago, and it's been doing great since then until the last few days. The leaves are turning yellow and brown and seem to be dying off. It's planted in a clay pot in very fast draining soil (I forget the mixture, but it's part cactus mix). I water it thoroughly whenever it's dry and I have never fertilized it. It's quite special to me as it sparked my interest in indoor gardening and my plant collection has grown extensively since then. I really don't want it to die. Any suggestions?

(It's my first time posting on here, so I'm not sure if the picture will work. Sorry :( )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's happening to my pineapple?

hi
Looks like WAYY to much water lol Pineapples are incredibly easy to grow except for two things too much water and lack of light . Let it dry out completely
They store water in their leaves . I've grown them completely epiphyticly with no media at all. Only ones I've ever killed were too much water gary

o

Yes, that potting mix is way too heavy and holding far too much moisture. You need a fast-draining mix with little organic material. Chances are, the roots are rotting.

Josh

o

What do you reccomend I replant it in?

o

I recommend a porous, fast-draining mix.
What sort of resources do you have at your disposal?

If you're limited to Home Depot type stores, then you could buy an "Orchid Mix" to start, and then add something to it depending upon how fine the mix is. During the Winter, you want a mix that dries out in 4 - 6 days, tops.

Josh

o

No experience with pineapple except consuming, but definitely with interpreting anecdotes/advice, and killed many plants in the past with water. When Gary said he'd grown this epiphytically, I don't know if the semantics are correct without getting more info about whether or not it was danging from a tree limb, but he's at least indicating "without a pot" (and I didn't start typing here to examine the semantics of good info, just hoping for a giggle maybe. And some curiosity - he does really interesting stuff 'down there' in S FL.)

But why I started typing is that if it were my plant, upon reading Gary's input, I'd remove it from its' pot. Hopefully the whole thing will hold its' shape. If not, gently sit on newspaper or cardboard to dry. Then proceed with the rest of the great advice here about a more appropriate mix for a plant like that in a pot. I've managed to save rotting plants this way (realized post-purchase usually) and this has made it easier to keep succulents alive in their bought peat ball if repotting must wait. Moisten well, then sit on newspaper to dry. Back in pot if you want, not necessary.

Removing the gone-over leaves from any plant is a good idea, in case there is any kind of fungus or surface pathogen that could spread.

An 'orchid pot' might work well for such a plant. A short, squat unglazed clay pot with slits on the sides near the bottom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here