Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wandering Jew (Tradescantia zebrina)

Posted by JessieC777 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 6, 11 at 17:30

I bought this guy from a big box store roughly about a week ago. I haven't watered it at all. It is still wet from the store. As you can see the leaves are yellowing and it is just this side. I believe this was the side they had facing away from light. Could not enough light be causing this? I hung it near a south facing window where it gets plenty indirect sunlight. I just rotated this side towards the light a day or so ago. It definitely needs re-potted. Should I go ahead and do that or let it be for the winter? It seems to be producing new leaves on the vines still. Google isn't helping much...I thought I may get some good feedback from the pros around here ;-)

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia zebrina)

I would repot it and put it in a much lighter soil mix. One week ago seems a long time for it to still be wet. Maybe it got overwatered. I really don't know why the leaves are yellow. Otherwise it looks healthy and beautiful.

o

Thanks for the response zackey! I think I will re-pot in a grittier mix. I was checking on it and it is so root bound I can't even stick my finger in to the soil...it's all roots lol

o

I'd not hesitate to give it a major haircut, while you're at it. New growth will emerge pretty quickly...and it will be green!

The more light this plant gets, the happier it will be.

o

Thanks rhizo!

I went a tad wild and performed major surgery lol I separated all the starts of each plant and gave it a major haircut. I stuck the cut pieces back into the soil. It looks a little droopy this morning, but I did save some starts just in case it doesn't pull through.

o

Jessie. Cuttings will probably take a little longer to root because of the time of year.

If you have extra cuttings try rooting in water. Bottom leaves must be removed otherwise, if they sit in water they rot.
Change water every 2nd or 3rd day.

Actually, it's a good idea pinching the top two leaves throughout summer to keep compact.
Even then, in cold climate/grey day winters, stems tend to get spindly.

Most likely, leaves yellowed from over-watering. For the time being, water soil thoroughly when it's mostly dry. This is especially important during dark, winter months.
I'm sure you're WJ will look great..Toni

o

Thanks Toni! I do have some starts in water....just waiting to see some action. The poor plant looks kind of sad. I have pretty high ceilings so I lowered the plant down to make sure it gets sufficient light. I hope it pulls through.

o

Good luck!

I don't even bother re-potting this plant anymore. I just cut off the vibrant growth tips and re-root a potful.
Indeed, use a fast-draining mix and water thoroughly. This plant roots more quickly than any other plant for me.

Beware the water-roots. They will not transition well to soil because they are more brittle and less efficient
at taking up oxygen and nutrients (when potted into a mix).

Josh

o

Thanks Josh...I always appreciate reading your input :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here