Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A repotted method I use to head start good growth on new plants!

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

It is hoped that a method that I use to give my newly arrivals even at this time of the year a good head start. I don't like any of my plants sitting in original soils they come in since I am not growing in the hot house conditions they are use too.
Also, it's a great way for me to rid of any possible pests and to give the roots all the aeration they need as soon as I can provide that.

So far I have had 100% complete success with this and it is hoped that you too can have the same..Sorry about the pic quality on the first pic, but using my old camera. I think you'll get it though.

First I take the newly plant , ( Hoya adorata), out of its pot and do a good rinse off of all the old peat moss mix while having a tub filled with fresh warm water and a bit of super thrive added for good measure.

{{gwi:116728}}

Soaking the roots while the old soil falls away

{{gwi:116729}}

I lay the plant completely under the warm water washing each leaf as it drowns any possible pests.

{{gwi:116730}}

Meanwhile I will get my mix that has been soaking for an hour or two that consists of 5 parts bark, one part perlite, and one part oumice or turface soaked with super thrive with a tad pinch of lime and a slow release fertilizer.
Here is a look at it. I love the color and light weight to it. It is so porous and yet holds moisture perfectly!

{{gwi:116731}}

Then I will transfer the plant to its new pot and make sure to firmly press the new mix into and all the roots.

{{gwi:116732}}

Then I will set it aside and get it ready to be labeled. Yes, I have finally started to label my plants for the new year. I will write the name, the date purchased, and they date planted on the front. Then on the back I write care instructions.
These labels can be had from Hone Depot in early spring and sell fast. I have a box of them at the ready and permanent markers.

{{gwi:116733}}

The plant in it's new pot.

{{gwi:116734}}

Notice the old little black pot it came in to the left of it.

{{gwi:116734}}

Looking mighty happy now in its new mix and labeled. It has already reacted positively and I am quite excited. the mix is light even when wet and will allow me to water as often as I want which is what they like as most plants.

{{gwi:116732}}

P.s. Here is a cutting of an orange tree I have planted in the same mix.

Thank you for looking and it is hoped that this might help a few here. If you have any questions, just as Al/Tapla, Josh, or I since I have learned the concepts of these mixes by my these dear friends.

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 5:09

Comments (13)

• greendale
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, Mike:

Thanks for the heavy picture tutorial. It is very helpful. I also acquired quite a few plants but they are still in their original soil (except those that I got from Logee's) - I am afraid of repotting them in the middle of winter. But on another hand - very uncomfortable with watering - I am used to watering with the gritty mix already. :)
    And you Sinned again...:)

Greendale

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Thanks for putting this together! I will definitely employ some of these techniques in the future. Good work!

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

Hey Mike!
    a-hoya there matee (hehe), very nice photo-tutorial!
    its actually quite similar to the method i use ('ideally', when i dont skip a step or 2 on occasion,,) but its really nice having it all spelled-out, and confirmed by an trusted, 'executive' enthusiast as yourself hehe

Your mix looks Great, as do your plants typically,,
    btw i Luv those little sq. plasti-pots, theyre great for starting little cuttings in,,,
    was just wondering, have you ever used (or even heard of) B-1 (vitamin, by Hi-yield),,?

Thanks for sharing, just wanted to say Hey! hope all is well. :)

wait, wheres the orange tree? lol

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Yes, Mike, fantastic tutorial!

Your mix looks so good and clean, well done!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey everyone..

I wish I could of got a couple of better shots than that, but I think you all get the point.

Josh, thanks pal! I do love the looks of the mix. I can tell you that anytime I ever transplant out of this mix, the roots to my plants always look clean and bright white.
    For anyone that thinks a mix like this might dry out too fast, not so. It does dry out a bit faster than most mixes with peat, but I have also learned that watering my plants more frequently happens to encourage better growth as a whole.
    What I did notice too was that once water touches the bark, immediately it starts to decompose as anything would, which doesn't require as much frequent watering as I first started out with.

In fact, here is what the mix looks like after sitting in just two days of water.
    But, it does break down a lot slower than a mix with small fine particles and dries out so evenly.
    The key is to soak it first before use.

Greendale, for me this mix is just as good as the gritty one because I am not using any peat fraction at all. The Pumice and Perlite do not breakdown at all while the bark breaks down just as slow as the one I use in the gritty.
    What I like about it is, it is much lighter than the gritty, although the gritty certainly has its place in my world.

Happy New Year to you all...Josh, Purple and Greendale!

Silientsurfer,

A special hello to you Silent surfer! Where have you been these days? I missed you around these parts.
    Great to see you using the same method. Nice. I'll bet your plants are loving it.
    Hi Yield? What;s that? I think Super thrive is loaded with B's. At least that is what is says.
    It was good to see you stop by. Don't be a stranger. Enjoy this day. It's going to get frigid today! 35 was like a heatwave this morning and 8 tomorrow morning will feel like Siberia. I am not looking forward to that. I can hear the 50 mile per hour wind gusts moving in..

Um, love the edit feature. I almost forgot the pic of the mix after two days of being soaked.

{{gwi:116735}}

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 8:50

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    11 years ago

wow that was a cool post about the soil, what kind of bark are you using? what kind of plants like this mix other than hoyas?

Thanks Grantgarden2

• ssmdgardener
    11 years ago

Mike, great pictures!

(You might want to edit the last pic of your original post. It shows your adress. I tried to DM you but couldn't find your email address.)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Mike!!

That mix looks beautiful!!!

Awesome tutorial my friend!!!

Looking good in MA!!!

Happy New Year to Everyone!!!! ;-)

laura

• val1
    11 years ago

I love the look of this mix and I think I might use it to repot my lipstick plant which is not doing well. I picked up some Repti Bark at the pet store and I have perlite and pumice. Does the pumice work as well as turface? I believe I could find turface at a local store. Do I need the lime? Do I remove all of the other soil from around the roots? I posted pics of the lipstick in another post.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Great tutorial, Mike! It's so inspiring to see the science and physics of container growing slowly spread through the gardening community... bringing an end to many old wive's tales, fallacies, and industry misinformation.

Thanks, Mike, for sharing your knowledge... your medium looks fabulous, and the end result I've seen in photo form of your happy, healthy plants... many blooming... is always an inspiration, and testament to your dedication, and in using such knowledge to help others! Knowledge is truly power... and healthy roots make for healthy plants!

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

A quick hello before I head to the office. ;-) Looks great Mike! A great thread to explain and show the process!
    I love the look, feel and performance of these mixes! Plants couldn't be happier!

Do you have trouble with sharpie fading? I do! Gosh by the end of summer I don't know what's what!

Talk soon!
    Hugs!
    JoJo

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Val,
    Pumice does not hold as much moisture as Turface.
    In Mike's mix, I think we're seeing the coarse red volcanic rock called Scoria.
    It holds even less moisture than the finer white Pumice commonly available. I prefer
    the Scoria substitute for plants that appreciate more oxygen in the root-zone,
    such as Hoyas, Orchids, jungle Cacti, and many different succulents. I even potted
    my Moro Blood Orange in this type of mix before I had access to Turface, and the tree
    is doing wonderfully.

For most houseplants, I would add the Dolomitic Garden Lime to the mix.
    I would also add some slow-release fertilizer.

Josh

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

JoJo, try paint pens from the craft store. I got tired of fading pens, pencils, and Sharpie markers... and I ran across a paint pen with black paint and a fine tip somewhere and gave it a try. It takes a moment to dry, but it's the most permanent marking I can get, short of embossing or engraving metal tags.

I actually bought a roll of aluminum flashing and a pair of metal snippers awhile ago with the intention of cutting and embossing or engraving my own tags. Purchasing ready to emboss plant tags can get expensive. I would drill a small hole at one end with a Dreml to attach the tag to firm wire with a pigtail bent in it, like baling wire or thicker, and that wire would be stuck down in the pot or in front of the garden plant, and I'd use my husband's tool engraver to mark them.

But on plastic tags, I've taken to using paint pens from the craft store.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists