Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

the light I bought was too high

it blew out when I put it in the lamp socket.

this is the one I bought and the thread it was on.

does anyone think if I get a smaller voltage it would work?

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg1104161711414.html?2

one of them (recommended on this forum)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-200W-Equivalent-Daylight-6500K-Spiral-CFL-Light-Bulb-ESL40TN-D/203252142

thanks!

Comments (12)

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

If it burned out just as you turned it on you should return it and get another. That happens once in a while.

The voltage on this lamp is rated to 110-120VAC which if you're in the USA is your standard wall outlet current for in your home. It's rate of energy consumption is 42 watts, approximately the same as the lamp in your refrigerator or oven so that isn't the problem either. Lamps are made by the millions and a small percentage of them are no good from the start, That goes for CFLs, incandescents or halogens.

There is also the possibility that the fixture you used isn't working properly. Could you post a photo of it or one of the same type?

• indiana_tom
    9 years ago

The bulb you bought should have been fine for what you were using it for and was apparently defective from the factory. dellis326 is exactly right that you should take your receipt and bad bulb back to the store and exchange it. It calls for regular house current (in the US) so getting a lower voltage is not the way it works. These are made for regular house use. It is not a high powered bulb as far as electricity usage is concerned. The way to look at it is that it is a bulb that uses 42 watts of power, just like a 42 watt incandescent light bulb would. Even though it consumes energy like a 42 watt incandescent bulb, it give the light brightness of a 200 watt bulb. The bulb should be able to be screwed into any standard lamp socket and work fine. It is possible to have a defective socket but that is not very likely. I would recommend just trying another bulb.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks a lot. I bought 2 bulbs, so I will try the other one tomorrow. and let you know.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for all these questions, but I understand nothing about this!
    I wanted to tell you the bulb I put in the lamp that burned out, to make sure I got the right one.
    from the box: Ecobulb Daylight, 200 w., 6500K

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

By comparison to a CFL T-8 closest equivlent the T-5 bulb is:
    Higher priced bulbs that are less expensive to operate that also use less wattage which also provide ( with the key words being)' stable spectrum lighting' ( Brightness color) longer and more effecantly than the older T-8 4 foot CFL's

Most commonly used are T-8 fixtures and some are still useing the even older T -10

Over all( in my opinon) T-5 is going to be better and alot easier to use for a wide range range of plants.
    T-5 high output CFL's would be already used for the more adventeurus that have a darker area to use this type of bulb in part of a set up. T-5 high output isn't really required in the home setting that already has good sun exposure.
    T-5 high output and it's brightness isn't meant to be used for several plants as well.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

What kind of lamp it was? They are rated, and maybe it was rated for max lower than your bulb? (I know CFL uses less, but there are lamps with sockets rated for max 30W...)
    Do you have photo of your lamp?

I am using 100W CFL bulbs (uses 23W) in bathroom strip fixture; it has 6 sockets, rated for max 60W each. So far no problem.

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

What kind of lamp it was? They are rated, and maybe it was rated for max lower than your bulb? (I know CFL uses less, but there are lamps with sockets rated for max 30W...)
    Do you have photo of your lamp?

I am using 100W CFL bulbs (uses 23W) in bathroom strip fixture; it has 6 sockets, rated for max 60W each. So far no problem.

Rina

Original Author
    9 years ago

the lamp I have looks like this.
    It is so convenient bec. I can move the light around to various plants.
    it is very old.
    I don't know if it has a rating.

How do you know the rating on yours?

I ended up ordering this grow light arrangement-
    http://www.buyplantlights.com/tabletop-fluorescent-plant-stand-f2020l.html

I am hoping in the other room to be able to use a bulb, either the one I bought or another, in the clamp-on lamp.

I called the company about the bulb, but have to call back on Monday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clip-on lamp

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

ellen

Usually, there is a sticker somewhere on the lamp telling you what's the max wattage to be used. Maybe it got lost over time. There should be info on the package and/or installation guide.
    I have this clip-on (photo-I don't use it for plants anymore, have set up with more bulbs), and used 100w bulb in it without any problem. Check your lamp with regular bulb (CFL -to me- are too expensive to blow up...just in case there is problem with the lamp).

I don't know how many plants you are supplying light for - is one fixture enough? The fixture you ordered is only 24". Don't forget, the intensity of light gets 'weaker' at both ends.
    Rina

Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you for that info Rina,
    As Dellis and Indiana Tom suggest, turns out - acc to the company - that the bulbs had gotten ruined in shipping, and they will replace them. I have to wait 2-3 weeks,
    According to them, there should be no problem with these bulbs in my lamp.
    but now I have to wait.

• indiana_tom
    9 years ago

Sorry for the delay but I was happy to hear you discovered the problem. Too bad you have to wait but at least you know you will be back on track in a couple weeks. I don't know if you are using the light to assist what natural light they get or as their soul source of light. You may be using 1 or more lights but under any of these circumstances, turning the plants on occasion will help them grow more evenly.
    Best of luck
    Tom