Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Work Projects

Posted by Will07 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 18:16

I have many plant 'projects' at work these days but these are two of my favourite; my Venus Flytrap I resurrected. It was almost dead when I saved it about 3 months ago. It had maybe 3 mouths and they were all turning black. I've always thought these plants were high maintenance until I tried this: I put some rocks at the bottom of an empty pickle jar and keep water just at the surface. It started to slowly recover but with every new shoot that sprouts it seems to grow faster. Maybe once a week I'll change the water and wash the rocks. Also, I've noticed the exoskeletons of tiny flying insects on the mouths of the new shoots so it seems this warm damp environment attracts food for the plant. It gets lots of bright light and a little direct sun. I have also given it a handful of times a very diluted solution of Miracle-Gro 24-8-16. I'm hoping it will thrive into the new year!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Work Projects

My other favourite project is my pineapple. I started it 3 years ago this month with another co-worker who has since retired. It was just the top of a pineapple you'd get at the grocery store but has since grown into this huge pointy bush. It's probably 3.5-4 feet diameter! I had to suspend it from the hanging basket lines before a customer poked out their eye on the sharp ends. There's no sign of fruit yet but it's looking mighty healthy! Hoping she finally puts out some fruit in the new year!

o

They PAY you for hanging out there?! I'm SO jealous! Those are cool projects, Will.

What's the pineapple hanging OVER? A sea of palm trees?

I've read a tip for putting a little piece of styrofoam on the ends of pointy leaves. I don't know if these are the type of leaves that would work for or not. I've poked myself in the eye with a Dracaena marginata leaf and even as soft as that is, it's an unpleasant experience!

o

Yes it is a sea of Palm trees, left over from the summer. Most have mealy bugs. We usually cut the price down to $5 for a $40 palm tree by February. If it was up to me I'd have thrown them out a long time ago.

The styrofoam sounds like an interesting technique. Usually I cut the ends of the leaves off on a diagonal put they are still pointy. I'm thinking about one day wrapping up the whole plant in a garbage bag and sticking a few ripe apples in to try and force it to fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here