Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tea bags and banana peels?

Posted by houseplantlover ontario (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 22, 09 at 18:20

I have never heard of this one before...but hey....what do I know. What do you have to say about it?

Get rid of the dust on your houseplants and give them a refreshing shower by popping them in the garden during a light rain. This saves on your water bills too - and avoids the need to buy special wipes to clean the leaves. Alternatively, use a discarded teabag or the inside of a banana skin to wipe the dusty leaves of houseplants and give them a shine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tea bags and banana peels?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 22, 09 at 19:18

Whew! I thought you were going to suggest adding banana peels and tea bags (leaves) to your soil.

Al

o

Funny Al, that one I know you cant do but cleaning the leaves with banana peels? Still wanting your oponion. Thanks again. Merry Christmas

o

Lol..So did I ..I am like ok? hahaha

Mike..

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 17:23

Well ...... I remember when I was a kid, we used to 'collect' really pretty pebbles & stones. If we got one we thought was worth saving, we would always wet it for a better look at it. The reason we wet it was because we always polished our stones with the inside of an old banana peal because it made them shiny. It made them shiny by filling in the pores of the stone and depositing natural oils on the stone surfaces. Is that something we want on plant leaves? Probably not, but at the same time, I don't have any idea how harmful it might (or might not) be. It WOULD make the leaves shine, though.

Not sure about the tea bags either, I know that tea leaves in soil are not a good thing, nor is using tea as a 'tonic', but as I think through the physiologic implications, I don't think they would be too bad to dust with. I do think though, that it doesn't have anything to do with the tea in the bag - just that the paper makes a good cleaning material, so I guess I would prolly look until I found a sponge that would work equally well.

Merry Christmas to you too, HPL (and Mike) ....... It's so close, I might as well include everyone. ;o) Merry Christmas to all!

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here