Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

My Sweet Olive's Leaves Feel Brittle....

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I think I let my sweet olive get too dry. The leaves have lost their glossiness and I don't see anymore signs of flowers. They feel very brittle. I did water it though and it started looking like this just last week. Is there any hope?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (12)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi Brad...

They are very resilient plants..I have done the same..
    You might even loose all the leaves and a couple of branches..
    Just give it time, make sure it is in a very porous mix and provide lot's of light. If you should loose all the leaves, let us know..ok

Good luck..These are magnificent plants..

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mike,

The mix I have it in is MG potting soil with added MG perlite. It's still in the south window. I have get my plants watered today so I'll give it another good drink today. I'll keep an update going to let you know how she's doing.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, Brad, are you sure that the soil dried out?

Miracle Grow is terrible potting soil. You can't really add enough Perlite to make it better, either...
    not until your mix is almost 100% Perlite. Most growers have a terrible time growing healthy and
    attractive plants in bagged potting soil - with only a few exceptions.

Did you rinse out the Perlite dust before adding it to the potting soil?

Sometimes, when the soil doesn't dry out, the roots suffocate...which means that they can't
    take up any moisture. So the plant seems to be drying out, when it's actually drowning/suffocating.

Josh

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Josh,

Yep, the soil was dry. It's in a clay pot too, which means it dries out faster than if it were in a plastic pot.
    I didn't rise the perlite (never have) and most of the plants I repotted/potted into the soil have done well.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

13 years ago

Did you check the soil in the middle and bottom of the pot, too?
    (I just want to cover all bases to give you the best advice possible).

Your plants will do much better if you pot them in an appropriate mix, guaranteed.

Another problem with potting soil is hydrophobia. Once the mix dries, it can be very
    hard to thoroughly re-moisten. When the peat shrinks, it can actually kill/disturb the
    fine root-hairs. Then, once saturated again, it stays wet longer than prudent.

Sounds like you're going to be fighting a losing battle until you get your mix sorted.

Josh

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a moisture meter that I use (I haven't lately, though) on all my plants. I'll keep a close eye on them should anything else occur.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

13 years ago

Moisture meters measure electrical conductivity.

If you put the moisture meter in distilled water, it will read 'Dry.'
    If you add a little salt to that water, the meter will register 'Wet.'
    Not the best method of measuring moisture.

A chop-stick or a kabob skewer would be far more effective.

Josh

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have bamboo stakes on hand if they'll work?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

13 years ago

Yes, those will work!
    If the container is shallow enough, even a tooth-pick will suffice.
    Just stick the stake into the pot, as far down as it'll go, leave it a few minutes
    and then slide it back out to feel for moisture. I leave a skewer in several containers
    all the time, so I don't have to wait to see if they come out with detectable moisture.
    In the exceptionally gritty mixes, it can be hard to tell when the mix is dry because the
    upper inches dry out so quickly (eventhough there's plenty of available moisture below).

Let us know if the Sweet Olive perks back up!

Josh

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Josh! I will keep everyone updated on how she does! I'll say a prayer for Kakyuu tonight for sure!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Actually, it is perfectly possible to grow healthy plants in bagged potting soil. Millions of folks have done it for generations. Some products are better than others, for certain...and it does take some care in learning how to water properly with the typical commercial potting medium.

It's easier to grow containerized plants in a non-peat based medium, at least for most who attempt it. But certainly not required for success.

13 years ago

Actually, that depends on the level of vitality or 'health' with which one is satisfied.
    There are exceptions, of course, but they don't prove the rule. Not all plants abhor bog-like conditions...
    and some growers can provide adequate light/warmth/circulation to keep the plant actively drawing moisture.
    That said, it's nigh impossible to argue that two plants differently potted (one in peat, one in porous mix)
    but in the same location won't display a marked difference in vitality.

"Most growers have a terrible time growing healthy and
    attractive plants in bagged potting soil - with only a few exceptions"

Josh