Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinygardennyc

Help with IDing a mystery peperomia?

tinygardenNYC
11 years ago

Hi y'all! This is a cross-post from Name That Plant, because purpleinopp helpfully suggested that someone here might be able to name this plant.

I saw this lovely Peperomia in a Home Depot, but didn't buy it when I had the chance. Unfortunately it wasn't labeled.

The most popular answers from google, none of which seem right:
- Peperomia "Pixie" (meridana?)
- P. orba variegata ("Princess Astrid"?) but the squiggly veins on the light leaves don't look like most of the pictures of variegated orbas I've seen.
- "Peperomia 'Pixie Marmer'" This only comes from Flickr, so I have doubts that it is correct.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (10)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hey, Tiny, welcome to house plants forum!

11 years ago

[Doing Ben Stein imitation from Ferris Bueller movie]

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I have this exact plant, but I also am stumped with it's true name...all the tag said was 'peperomia'...which isnt very helpful....sorry, I wish I could help...and I have tried finding it's name but I also get different answers... I really wish some of these plant companies would put plant's whole name on the tags, it would help so much...I would think the company/nursery that's growing these plants must know it's full name, it only seems fair to let the custumer know also.

11 years ago

Seriously? I've seen this plant before and if I had any idea it was such a mystery, I would have definitely bought it and, of course, now I feel like I must have one. Just a sucker for mystique!

• tinygardenNYC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know what you mean, purpleinopp - this will surely become my white whale, especially since big box hardware stores don't ever really know what plants they'll have in or when.

FlowerPotTipper, mine was the same, but even less helpful! It just said "succulent." Thanks?! I hope I can figure it out, because now I'm completely bummed I can't find one!

11 years ago

Tiny, I had no idea it was such a mystery. So glad you posted over here so the junkies on this forum can now be searching for this plant, as I know they will... Ha!

White whale. Did you actually read that? I tried but ended up with Cliff Notes. Got an A on the report though. Melville is too dry for me!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I'm still not so sure it's a Pep. If Karyn715 were around & saw it, she could probably say for sure. I think it might be some kind of Gersneriad or Lipstick plant. I've never seen a Pep w/ the markings. Too bad it hasn't bloomed, that could likely resolve the question.

• tinygardenNYC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

purpleinopp- You got me, I just know enough about it for pop culture references and pub quiz. It's on my kindle though ;)

pirate_girl - it hadn't occurred to me that it might not be a Pep. The possibilities are too huge to contemplate. I emailed Karyn715 when I first posted it to Name That Plant, but realize in retrospect that that might be a little forward or lurky so I can see why she hasn't responded...

Mysteries abound!

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

It is a peperomia, I've seen other ones for sale (and many pics online) with the exact same leaves (very few with the same markings but most without) with a tag saying it's a peperomia...it's just some kind of variegation or something....maybe it's some kind of virus that causes it?? I've seen pics online with the exact same plant but with different names, the only thing in common is that they all say it is a peperomia...the only reason I bought this plant was because of those weird markings, never seen another one like it, plus I have small collection of peperomias going...and not only that, but when I first bought the plant, it had one of it's weird rat-tail flowers, which is a peperomia trademark.

I went to the plant company's websight that mine came from but couldn't find a picture of this peperomia (it just shows pics for whole salers to pick from, and the pic just said mixed assortments in different sizes)...I think I'm gonna go back and find an email address and see if I can email them a pic and ask for it's whole name. I'll get back to you if they answer, but first I need to get batteries for my camera.

-FPT

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

That says it all for me:

"it had one of it's weird rat-tail flowers"

had I known that, I would never have suggested it wasn't a Pep.