Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Help me find hanging plant tension poles

catherinet
18 years ago

Hi all,

I used to have several of these, but gave all of them but one away. Now I really need them. I suppose they show my age, but they used to be really popular. I have a cat that eats anything green, and I have tomove my plants higher up. These poles have a tension section at the top, so they fit different heights of ceilings. Then they have special hook/arms that attach to them. They are great because you can move them around easily in your home.

I've looked all over and can't find any. Have any of you seen any of these recently, either at a local store, or online? Thanks!

Comments (44)

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    18 years ago

You might try ebay or local garage or estate sales.
    Don't think they are made anymore. I think if you got creative you could make one.

• Mentha
    18 years ago

I read somewhere a chinning bar (used for chin ups) from your sporting center is about the same thing.

• nanw_4wi
    18 years ago

lol....It's all in the 'keywords', I've found.

I bought a couple of these from ABC Distributing 2 or 3 years ago. They no longer carry them, but I found these.....(this is what I have and they work great!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tension Mounted drying pole/rack

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Won't this tip over? I ordered something similar from Colletions, Inc but it has feet. What it doesn't have long enough arms to hang out, but it's only for 3 hanging plants.
    Nan, can't believe you found it..LOL..Toni

• catherinet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Nan,
    I did come across that on the net. I was hoping to find the "old fashioned" ones.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Cahterine, I don't know the stand you mean, but how many plants does it hold?
    They make nice stuff then stop selling it..do you remember the shell that hung on windows? It was a 4 piece unit..the top hung over the window..I had one and dh one day tosses it..I was so angry at him cause I loved that thing, even though it needed paint. I'd love finding one of those now. Toni

• catherinet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi hopefulauthor,
    No, I don't remember a shell. Did it hold plants?
    The thing I'm talking about is a brass pole (although the one I kept is covered in a fake wood contact-paper-type stuff). At the top, it has a little spring rod. You push on the pole (vertically) so it is wedged between the ceiling and the floor. The spring rod lets it be sort of adjustable for different height ceilings. Then, it has these brass hangers that are just like 1/4" round. They are about 1' long. You would hook them to the pole and then hang the plant from there. It would hold as many plants as you could fit on it. They even had hangers that had round things on them, so you could just sit some plants on those, instead of hanging them. I liked these poles, because you could put them anywhere, and take them down and move them easily. I liked putting a couple between my big open living room and dining room, and they were sort of a natural, living screen between the 2 rooms.
    To me, they were soooo functional. They were nice because you never had to put anything into the wall or ceiling, and leave holes. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a demand for them anymore. I guess I'm just a fading hippie....... lol!
    It's possible that I still have one out in my shed......but that would take a year or 2 to get to it! haha

• roche_raine
    18 years ago

I had a conversation with a family member at Christmas Dinner who was looking for such a pole. I would love to surprise her with one for her birthday. I hope somebody out there finds a producer/seller. I will buy several. They sound like a fantastic idea for just about anyone. Inventors-listen up! Happy Hunting!

• Nigella
    18 years ago

I have some old ones from the seventies but I haven't seen any in ages. I wonder how long it will be before they reappear, though. House plants are becoming a bigger and bigger deal all over the country. It probably won't be too long before some savvy marketer sees the possibilities, there's usually not a void for too long. Perhaps the 2006 version will even be some nice wrought iron look?

• pinkie50tn
    17 years ago

I'm looking for a tension plant pole too. Any luck?

• chrisbrut
    17 years ago

Good Evening, Someone besides me does remember those; I have one and I want to sell it but I don't want to give it away either. I know what your thinking; I want to make a small fortune. No I don't but I don't want to give it away, I have done that with too many of my parents things. They didn't have much but the things they did have they kept in great condition as I have tried to do as well. This has some minimal surface rust; and I do mean minimal. So if anyone has an idea as to the worth of it would you be so kind as to let me know please, thanks!

• bspofford
    17 years ago

There were two of these that just sold on e-bay, listed as retro Eames planter poles.

Try this link to collections, they now have the pole hanger with a tension mounted pole, $14.99!

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: collections

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the link, I'm trying to look at this, but having trouble.

Assuming you mean at Collections, Etc., what's the product called, or how's it listed, 'cause any names similar to what you're saying are not found by their search feature.

• watergal
    17 years ago

I'm assuming this is the one. I saw it too but wonder if the plastic arms would be strong enough to support the weight of a hanging plant. It's also not especially attractive for a living area.

Here is a link that might be useful: pole

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Thanks Watergal,

I appreciate the link, I'm w/ you on this; seems designed to hold lightweight stuff (laundry).

Personally I wouldn't trust this to hang plants from.

• nanw_4wi
    17 years ago

I actually own a couple of those shown in the link above.
    The plastic portions of mine are black rather than white, however, so a bit more pleasing to the eye, in my opinion.

But....I bought them for their practicality, not their aesthetic quality.

They're a lot stronger than they look.
    Each arm easily supports two or three hanging plants.

The key is to make sure the weight is somewhat evenly distributed among the 'arms'.

I'd purchased mine from ABC distributing, but they no longer carry them. I have a feeling they're made by the same company.

• gabro14
    17 years ago

I know they sell tension poles for closets that don't have rods, or if you want to put another rod to hang clothes (like pants) below the top rod that's built in. They sell them at hardware stores, maybe Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. They are made to go horizontal but I don't see any reason they can't go vertical. Just make sure they are long enough.

As was previoulsy mentioned, adding the hangers for plants would be another project. I can't think of a way to do that, but if you have any carpenter friends, they may be of some help.

Another alternative, also mentioned above I think, would be to get something a little different but that functions the same way. If you want something that is easily moved and can keep the plants away from the cat, I found a vertical post with an arm and hook that comes out to hang a plant (on ebay). But it only is good for hanging one plant, so it may not be what you're looking for. Here's the link if you want to take a look. Good luck.
    Gabi

Here is a link that might be useful: Universal Pole

• gabro14
    17 years ago

I'm sorry...I just noticed that this pole is for outside and stakes in the ground. I guess trying to make a stand for it would be yet another project that you may not want to take on!
    Gabi

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Ok Catherine...I'm on a mission now!!
    Once I get something in my head I just can't stop. Another idea would be to get one of those shower tension poles, and put your plants on the shelves. However, the shelves tend to be small, and I'm not sure how big your pots are. Now, I've had these poles for my shower, and believe me, they can hold a heavy plant! If they can hold my huge shampoo bottles, they can hold anything. Here is one I found on ebay, just to give you an example. But again, you can find these ANYWHERE they sell household stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: tension pole

• watergal
    17 years ago

I think this might work for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: pole with feet

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

I have an old one too and can't imagine whay they dont sell them anymore. But gabro, with her pole for outside, gave me another idea.

Could you possibly use a shepherds hook sunk into a large container? The base would have to be heavy to make it sturdy. But rocks or other heavy objects (I even used a bag of buckshot once--small but heavy) could do that and to move it, they could be removed and replaced easily. Just a thought. Sandy

• judypurrple1
    16 years ago

I am also looking for a place to purchase the old 1970's plant poles. I don't know who made them in the first place at that time. At one time, I had 6 of them and then in an overzealous "Clean Sweep," I tossed out 4 of them. Such regrets I'm having now. Also had to leave one of them behind during a divorce because unlike the marriage, the plant pole didn't come apart. I have also tried the idea of the laundry pole or the shower pole basket thing. Nothing really has the appeal of the old plant pole. When I did find them, they were from a friend, a garage sale, a thrift store, that sort of thing. You can find the tension rod part at the Ben Franklin stores, if you can find a Ben Franklin store. Here in Lincoln, Ne, you can. I would think some hippie or retro place would make them as a memory thing. I don't know what they retailed for back then, but now I sure would like to buy some, find some, Ebay some, or figure out how to make my own. I'm still kicking myself for throwing out 4. What was I thinking?

• oldcarny
    16 years ago

Here is the answer to all your problems.

http://www.collectionsetc.com/

Collections etc.

Housewares

Under - Laundry
    Goto -- Page 2
    Last item on page

Price $14.99 plus S&H
    ---------------------

White, opens 7 TO 9 feet.

Your old hangers will work fine. You might want to spray paint them appliance white.
    Hangers that come with it are plastic and good up to 20 pounds each.

OldCarny

Here is a link that might be useful: Collections etc.

• kioni
    16 years ago

So sorry your cat likes to munch on your plants. My cat gives a chomp to every new plant I bring into the house, then thankfully leaves it alone (they must taste bad). Some cats need more stimulus from chewing on plants than others. As another option, I've read (but not had to try) that a product called 'apple bitters' can be purchased specifically for cats, to be sprayed on the leaves of plants to deter the kitty from taking future chomps. Or providing some oats/barley or some other quick growing and cheap form of chewing material to hopefully satisfy your cat's need to chew on greens. Or even giving it periodically some alfalfa sprouts? Please double check the sprouts, I'm sure I've read about that in an older book by some lady speaking about cat behaviors, just to make sure it is safe - since information seems to change over time (or be updated).
    Good Luck!

• jill2008
    16 years ago

Catherine, like you, I have been searching for one of these tension rod planter poles. Had one years ago and threw it away!

I have not found a plant pole, but I did find a tension mounted drying pole at www.collectionsetc.com. They are $14.99 each, and have three "arms" for hanging clothes to dry - but who says they can't hold plants as well!!?? It extends to 112" - a little over 8 feet. I ordered two!

We also have cats, and know what a problem it can be keeping live, green leaves out of their mouths!

Hope this was a little help for you, and if you ever do come across a "real" plant pole, please let me (and several others!) know!

Jill Starr

• ks_girl
    15 years ago

I have a couple of the plant tension poles and have been looking for more for years now. Finally I found something that works very well. At our Target store I found a shower tension rod in white or silver and it has three and four little shelves which I set a pot on and than hang one from the rim of the shelf, and if you have any of the wire hanging arms left from a lost pole it will also fit this pole.
    http://www.target.com/Tension-Rod-4-Baskets-White/dp/B000JY3A5E/sr=1-6/qid=1234969238/ref=sr_1_6/176-6455553-7059066?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Ashower%20caddy&page=1

• kelticfeline_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

I am amazed at how many people are also looking for these! I also had a couple years ago & left them with my ex-husband (dumb, dumb). I remember exactly where I got them: Miles Kimball Company. Irony of ironies, I now work for Miles Kimball and they no longer carry them. I strongly suggest that all of you who are interested go to mileskimball.com, click on Contact Us and send an e-mail requesting they bring back the poles. Who knows, if they hear from enough people....

In the meantime, Amazon has a tension shower caddy that is supposed to fit ceilings up to 8ft 1 in, and states that extensions are available for taller ceilings. Also at Amazon, I searched for plant poles & found one for outside that lists arms and dishes as accessories for the pole that might work on the shower caddy pole.

Good luck!

• sandy_german_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Add me to the list of people looking for those tension rod hanging plant poles. I've searched ebay and found nothing even close to what we're all looking for.

I had 4 or 5 of them back home, but when I moved to Texas they got left behind. That was 14 years ago.

I think I'll take Debi's advice and contact mileskimball.com and add my voice to those of others still interested in acquiring these poles once again.

• elkay_gw
    13 years ago

Hey, I've been looking for these for years! I just sent Miles Kimball an e-mail.

There HAS to be some of these somewhere.

• momsie39
    13 years ago

My last pole like this finally 'died'...I have been searching for several years to replace them. Any one ever find any? I really wish I remembered the manufacturer!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web

• antnaya1925_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I'm looking for the hanging plant tension poles too. I purchased two from Frank's Nursery back in the '70s. Frank's Nursery went out of business years ago in Michigan. I had 2 poles. when I moved two years ago, my brother help move me. I stay behind as he moved my things. After unpacking, I couldn't find my poles. My brother claims he never saw them. Told me to buy more. I told him these are collector items! I loved those poles, they were brass. Those poles are older than my 36 year old daughter. I have a doorwall that leads to the patio and those poles would be prefect for the winter months when I bring my plants indoors. If you find the poles, please let me know.

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

Hate to bring these old posts to the top, but since its already here.....

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay link for pole

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

and hooks

Here is a link that might be useful: extra hooks for plant hanger

• Phoenix.Manzanita
    12 years ago

Did you ever find one? Currently one on ebay. I too had a few of these at one time. This one looks just like one I had.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tension Plant Pole

• Nancy_R
    12 years ago

I too was looking for a place to locate the tension pole plant hangers when ran across this site. Further search discovered some on http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKimball/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?TID=_MilesKimball&&ProductID=BC00360137&;

So, whoever contacted Miles Kimball must have been heard as they now carry them. Price is up quite a bit since the '70s to $29 + $9 s/h.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miles Kimball

• elkay_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting this info! I emailed Miles Kimball some time ago and asked them to carry these poles again. I guess a number of people did the same.

• tinaham
    12 years ago

I remember these and I have been looking for some for the last 10 years.. I had two, I got rid of them when I lived in TN because I had vaulted ceilings.. What a huge mistake.. I think I got mine at Franks Nursery too.. if any one finds where to buy these ,, PLEASE let me know .. garagedweller88@yahoo.com thanks so much..

• adaorand
    12 years ago

I thought I hit the jackpot when I found two tension poles in a yard sale. Now I know I hit the jackpot! I have a small apartment with limited window space for my houseplants, and hope to find more tension poles.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

I wonder if tension poles used for bathrooms would do. With a little drilling here and there it might make a fine hanger.

Funny this thread came up. The other day while browing through our closet, I came across a bathroom/shower tension pole..brand new, still in the box

Walmart has bathroom tension poles, 3 different sizes, can't recall the tallest.

If holes were drilled in a pole, inserted w/some type of hanging or holding device, it'd probably would hold 3-4 plants??
    The pole would have to be sturdy metal so it wouldn't tip over.

Just a thought. Toni

• sherryinmaine
    12 years ago

thank you! I have wanted some of these since the late 80s, when I threw mine out because of some reason I cant remember (or maybe I sold it in yard sale because I was moving) but haven't seen once since then.

Sherry

• Nanadad
    11 years ago

I am also looking for these plant poles. Fortunately I still have several hooks. They are brass like the pole you talked about. My mother gave them to me before she died but she couldn't find the poles. We moved a lot in the late 60's and they were perfect to hang in any apartment or home we were in. I have search in vain for the poles. Thank you, Nancy R for posting that Miles Kimball now carry them. I checked the link and they do sell them with three hooks for 29.99. A little steep for me. I may buy one just to use as an example for someone to make me more. You all have brought back fond memories of my mother and her love for plants. Thanks

• Lamora
    11 years ago

My DH found one when his grandma died a few weeks ago, still in the box. Brought it home and the spring and hooks were MISSING!! lol.. he said he will "try" to find a way to use it-- knowing him-- he will!

I am on a mission to find one or 2 now-- :) Let us know if/when/where you do find them.

• Linda Ziegler
    8 years ago

They are on Amazon for 20$.I just got mine,it's a little different from the old ones,but it works.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts