Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaktuskris

Pondering Possible Poinsettia Preponderance

kaktuskris
11 years ago

Though I am succulent Euphorbia enthusiast, the others, Poinsettia for example, never did much for me. I really hadn't given them much notice for several years. But today, at the grocery store, I was struck by the variety that is out there now. Not only different colours, but different bract shapes and forms...

Christopher

Comments (18)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I agree, Christopher; poinsettias have become quite interesting. You'll get a kick out of this.....a very few years ago, poinsettia marketers decided to spray blue or purple or whatever color floral paint on the bracts of white poinsettias. You wouldn't BELIEVE the number of people who posted in here wanting to find cuttings or seeds of these blue poinsettias.

I haven't seen any comments about them in the last couple of years, so I hope that they've died and gone to heaven. Google blue poinsettias and you'll get a laugh.

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I did see them advertised with glitter all over them for a dollar or two more than the 'unadorned' ones...

Blue Phalaenopsis, Painted Poinsettias and Echeverias, Moon Cacti in Neon colours, Cacti with Straw Flowers glued on...how I despise the faux!

Christopher

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

...'Cuz it's as pretty as any other decoration... ? And for those who have a fixation and want one of every kind they have...

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Cause some folks are idiots & just plain have bad taste.

I'm a regular at a HD here in NYC & tho' my favorite color is turquoise, when they came out w/ turq Phal orchids, I almost lost my lunch. They are unquestionably the most unnatural looking things I have ever seen. Don't think they sold well interestingly enough.

As to the Poinsettias, I saw some recently w/ glitter on their bracts, yikes, why can't folks just leave nice things alone (tho' I'm not the biggest fan of these plants)?

11 years ago

Hey, PG, don't couch your thoughts in obtuse euphemisms, just say how you feel. Ha! About spit coffee out my nose reading this.

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

I can't stand poinsettias of any color. My husband says I wrinkle my nose whenever I see them at HD. :) The new colors have made something nasty even worse. Blue glitter poinsettias? Just go buy a plastic plant, please.

11 years ago

When it's free, and it's really old, it's more appealing for some reason. Was offered one if I wanted to dig it up. Of course I do, out of sheer curiosity, if nothing else. A giant old thing with new growth and a huge stump, broke in two during extrication. Now planted against the house like it was from the dig site, but in 2 spots.

Do these root easily? Cuttings would probably be a good idea when winter comes around again, not supposed to be hardy here...

11 years ago

Got around to taking a pic. The trunk on this thing was about 5" across. This is the smaller part. We'll see what it does...

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

If it flowers the original flowering color and form return to what nature intended them to be. After a million years no air brush can color any flower for very long, even if it where in a lab results for the euphoria genre may of caused some varied flowering forms for longer times... Give it three hip hip hooray cheers genetics win.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

DYED FLOWERS ARE FAKE. THEY WILL NEVER EQUAL THE BEAUTY OF REAL PLANTS. SORRY IF I OFFEND ANYBODY. AND THOSE ECHEVERIAS KAT. POSTED, LOOK UNATURAL AND UGLY TO ME.( NO OFFENSE, I HATE ALL FAKE AND PAINTED,DIYED FLOWERS

11 years ago

The pic was tired last night...

• ninecrow
    11 years ago

I've Not Seen Painted Point Here in England and All I Can Say is Thanks Be for That!!!

Hope Your Stump comes back purpleinopp.... Please Share Some Photos When it Does...
    Thanks

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

It should be fine purp, but I'd pull it out away from the wall at least 6-8 inches, maybe even a foot. There is some dead shoot tops in there that I'd cut down until I hit green. Also cut the stalk with the dead flower in back by about a third.

As to rooting, I broke a flower off last year (Christmas 2011) and put it in a vase and since the flowers (okay, I know, bracts) last so long it rooted in water. I put it in potting media and it is a foot tall now.

tj

• ninecrow
    11 years ago

tsugajunkie
    What Colour have You Got and Please Will You Share some Photos?
    Thanks

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Every single poinsettia that you have ever seen on the shelves has been propagated by stem cuttings. None in water. So, yes.....they are exceedingly easy to grow from cuttings.

11 years ago

Thanks for the advice(s)! It's against the wall in an attempt to zone-cheat, not supposed to be hardy here, AFAIK. This house is up on blocks, there's no foundation to worry about, just mimicking the placement from where I dug it up.

I've never been into Poinsettias so had no idea they were all vegetatively propagated. When I was putting these in the ground, I broke about half of the stems off and stuck them in the ground around the edges of the stumps. Sounds like something should get going, one way or another. It was quite attractive until frost got a'hold of it, about 4 feet tall.

10 years ago

This doesn't look like much, but there's signs of life on the mama chunk, and I think all of the tips I broke and stuck in the dirt have new leaves on them. In another month or so, I'll trim off the parts that are definitely dead. I've left it alone to recuperate. Will see what it does until frost threatens, then will take a few cuttings and hope for the best outside.

The foliage at the bottom in the middle is a little Veronica I can't kill yet, it has really cute, tiny blue flowers.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!